Attractions Inland Waterways




Attraction Name Description
Albatross Riverboat Mural Mural of the riverboat Albatross in downtown Omro.
Alma Historical Society Museum Small local museum open seasonally on the weekends. Local area history museum housed in the historic Buffalo County Teachers College.
Appleton Lock 4 Maritime Trails Marker In the late 1920s, paddlewheel steamboats on the Lower Fox River gave way to barges pushed by diesel-powered tugboats. For several decades, the whistles of tugboats were as familiar to Fox Valley residents as those of trains are today. Fully loaded with 400 tons of coal, pulpwood, or other commod...
Appleton Lock No. 1 The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. Not cu...
Appleton Lock No. 2 The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. Along ...
Appleton Lock No. 3 The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current stat...
Appleton Lock No. 4 The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. Not cu...
Battle of Bad Axe Historic Marker After holding off his pursuers at the Battle of Wisconsin Heights (about 11/2 miles east of present Sauk City), Black Hawk led his people over unfamiliar country toward the Mississippi. In the meantime, the Army alerted Ft. Crawford at Prairie du Chien. When the Indians reached the Mississippi, t...
Beef Slough Historic Marker The Beef Slough was a sluggish branch of the Chippewa River that provided an excellent storage pond for the logs floated downstream by numerous logging companies. Here loggers were employed to arrange the mixed-up logs into orderly rafts to be towed by steamboats to sawmills down the Mississippi....
Berlin Lock and Dam The old lock and dam no longer exist, but you can see the entrance to the old lock at the Berlin public launch and the remains of the old dam along a river walk and overlook on the river.
Blackhawk Park The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' Blackhawk Park is located adjacent to the main channel of the Mississippi River. The park is three miles north of DeSoto, Wis., and 30 miles south of La Crosse, Wis., just off Wisconsin State Highway 35 on County Road BI. Blackhawk is the largest public use facil...
Brule / St. Croix Portage Old portage trail between the headwaters of the St. Croix and Brule Rivers. Walk in the footsteps of Native Americans and Voyageurs who used this very path.
Brule River Historic Marker Historic marker at Stone's Bridge Canoe Landing that reads:'The Brule River has served as a passageway between Lake Superior and the St. Croix and Mississippi Rivers for many centuries. The Indians traveled this route long before the first white man. DuLhut, passed through in June of 1680. A few ...
Brule River Historic Marker Historic Marker that reads: 'The Brule River flows in the former channel of a larger river which once flowed in the opposite direction and drained melting ice from glacial Lake Duluth. The receding glacier created Lake Superior and also carved the valley now occupied by the Brule. Instead of flow...
Cassville Ferry The town of Cassville is home to one of the last operating car ferries on the Upper Mississippi River. Beginning operations in 1833, the Cassville Ferry service is now the oldest operating ferry service in Wisconsin. The ferry service currently runs between Cassville, Wisconsin and Turkey River, ...
Cassville Ferry Maritime Trails Marker Cassville's first ferry, a 40-foot row boat, crossed the Mississippi River in 1833. In 1836, 23-year-old New Yorker, Nelson Dewey was lured to Cassville by its promise as the potential capital of the Wisconsin Territory and crossed the Mississippi River via the Cassville Ferry. Twelve years later...
Cassville Riverside Park Cassville Riverside Park features an historic steamboat mooring ring that is still in place along the river that was used to moor historic river boats while they loaded and unloaded at Cassville.
Cedars Lock The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. Cannot...
Combined Locks - Upper and Lower The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules.
Dams on the Mississippi Historic Marker Lock and Dam No. 8 at Genoa, 679.2 miles above the mouth of the Ohio River, is set on a foundation of sand, gravel and broken rock. It has a 110 foot wide chamber and an 11 foot lift from the lower to the upper pool. Construction of the dam cost $6,702,500 and affected 18,591 acres of land. In Ma...
Erie L. Hackley Maritime Trails Marker On October 3, 1903, the Erie L. Hackley departed Menominee with nineteen people on board, bound for Egg Harbor across the bay. About an hour later, a violent squall arose, whipping the waves to monstrous heights. Soon, great walls of water crashed onto the vessel, tearing the pilothouse and cabin...
Eureka Lock No. 1 Lock, dam, and lockkeeper's house at end of DNR parking area and boat ramp.
Ferryville Landing Small observation deck that overlooks historic ferry landing. Great place to watch the river, wildlife, river boats, and trains.
Fort Winnebago Historical Marker Wayside on Highway 33 where it crosses the Fox River. Former location of Fort Winnebago, with Fort Winnebago and Marquette Historical Markers. There is also a cornerstone for the former location of the fort. Old Fort Winnebago Surgeons Quarters are across the highway from the Wayside. HIstoric ma...
Fort Winnebago Lock At the end of the road past the Indian Agency house is the lock to enter the canal from the Fox River. One gate is still in place and back filled to prevent its collapse. Also where the Marquette and the Portage Canal Ice Age Trails meet.
Forts Folle Avoine Historical Park Recreation of an a North West and an XY Company fur trading post.  Operated by the Burnette County Historical Society.
Fountain City Historical Society Small local museum open seasonally on the weekends.
Fox River Locks Maritime Trails Marker The Fox River navigation system has had four different owners since its completion in 1856. The Fox and Wisconsin Improvement company, the builder of the locks, spent more money than it made and went bankrupt in 1866. The company reformed as the Green Bay and Mississippi Canal Company, which sold...
Fox River State Trail The Fox River Trail offers a rich variety of scenery as it meanders from downtown Green Bay along the Fox River and passes through the Brown County communities of Allouez, De Pere, Rockland, Wrightstown and Holland. The 20 mile trail has approximately 8 miles of paved surface on the more urban se...
Governor Bend County Park Remains of lock and dam on small island on the end of Lock Road. Also the trail head of the Winnebago Ice Age Trail.
Great River Road Visitor and Learning Center Visitor and heritage center. Building has displays of steam boating and logging on the Mississippi River as well as many historic interpretive signs along the scenic overlooks. Great views of the confluence of the St. Croix and the Mississippi Rivers. Located at Freedom Park overlooking the river.
Historic Indian Agency House The Historic Indian Agency House was built by the U.S. government for John Kinzie in 1832. Kinzie was the Indian Agent to the Ho-Chunk Nation (Winnebago), and he and his wife, Juliette Magill Kinzie, lived at the portage from 1832-1834. Juliette Kinzie would later write of the young couples exper...
Hixon House Historic house owned by the LaCrosse Historical Society. Homestead of a LaCrosse lumber baron who owned sawmills and lumberyards on the Mississippi.
Interstate State Park Site of the world's largest log jam in 1886 when 150 million board feet of logs piled up along three miles of the river. It took 200 men working for six weeks to free the jam.
Kaukauna Guard Lock The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. There ...
Kaukauna Lock No. 1 The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. There ...
Kaukauna Lock No. 2 The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. Not cu...
Kaukauna Lock No. 3 The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. There ...
Kaukauna Lock No. 4 The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. Has a ...
Kaukauna Lock No. 5 The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. Not cu...
Kinnickinnick State Park State Park at the confluence of the Kinnickinnick and St. Croix rivers.
L. Wade Childress The pushboat L. Wade Childress sank near Fort Madison, Iowa, on 23 December 1985. Today, she rests 'on the hard' along County Highway K north of Prairie du Chien.
LaCrosse Visitors Center and Riverside Museum LaCrosse visitors center and riverside museum has large wooden Indian and riverboat tours LaCrosse Queen Cruises. The visitors center is at the north end of large riverside park with long riverwalk, grassy areas, and view of the river. The park is within walking distance of the downtown.
Lawler Park Waterfront park in Prairie du Chien that has many signs about early Wisconsin and its ties to the Mississippi River, as well as the connection between the Mississippi and the Great Lakes via the Wisconsin/Fox waterway. Great place to see modern pushboats and barges working on the river.
Lions Park on the St. Croix River Waterfront park that has two historic markers  a Wisconsin Historical Society historic marker for the battle of St. Croix Falls and a Wisconsin Heritage Tourism historic marker for the worlds largest log jam that occurred near here.
Little Chute Guard Lock The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules.
Little Chute Lock The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules.
Little Kaukauna Lock and Dam The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. The Li...
Menasha Lock The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. The Fr...
Mercord Mill Park Located at the confluence of the St. Croix and Mississippi River, a sawmill was located at this site in 1852, and later the Mercord family ran a flour mil at this location. There is a historic marker installed by Prescott at this location, as well as one installed by the Mercord family. Other att...
Mississippi Lock and Dam No. 10 Constructed and placed in operation November 1937, Lock and Dam No. 10 is located on Mississippi River mile 615.0 near Guttenberg, Iowa. The concrete dam is 763 feet long with four roller gates and eight tainter gates. The earth embankment is 6,000 feet long with a concrete spillway that is 1,200...
Mississippi Lock and Dam No. 11 Lock and Dam 11 borders on the northern edge of Dubuque, Iowa, and is 583 miles above the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers. The movable dam has 13 submersible Tainter gates (20-feet high, 60-feet long) and three submersible roller gates (20-feet high, 100-feet long). The roller gates...
Mississippi Lock and Dam No. 4 Located on Mississippi River mile 752.8 in Alma, Wisconsin, Lock and Dam No. 4 was constructed and placed in operation in May, 1935. The dam consists of a concrete structure 367 feet long with six roller gates and 22 tainter gates. The earth embankment 5,400 feet long. The lock is 110 feet wide b...
Mississippi Lock and Dam No. 5a Located on Mississippi River mile 728.5 near Fountain City, Wisconsin, Lock and Dam No. 5a was constructed in 1932 and placed in operation in 1936. The dam consists of a concrete structure 682 feet long with five roller gates and five tainter gates. The earth embankment is 22,000 feet long with a...
Mississippi Lock and Dam No. 6 Located on Mississippi River mile 714.1 at Trempealeau, Wisconsin, Lock and Dam No. 6 was constructed and placed in operation in June 1936. The dam consists of a 893-foot long concrete structure with five roller gates and 10 tainter gates. The earth embankment is 2,600 feet long with a concrete o...
Mississippi Lock and Dam No. 7 Located on Mississippi River mile 702.5 near LaCrescent, Minnesota, Lock and Dam No. 7 was constructed and placed in operation in April, 1937. The lock in on the Minnesota side of the river, but there is a pathway over the top of the earth embankment along which you can walk to the lock. The dam ...
Mississippi Lock and Dam No. 8 Located on Mississippi River mile 679.2 near Genoa, Wisconsin, Lock and Dam No. 8 was constructed and put into operation by April 1937. The dam consists of a concrete structure 934 feet long with five roller gates and 10 tainter gates. An earth embankment 17,500 feet long with two submersible spi...
Mississippi Lock and Dam No. 9 Lock and Dam No. 9 is located on Mississippi River mile 647.9 near Lynxville, Wisconsin. Constructed and placed in operation in July 1937, the dam consists of a concrete structure 811 feet long with five roller gates and eight tainter gates. The earth embankment is 9,800 feet long with a grouted ...
Montello Historic Preservation  Society Montello Historic Preservation Society museum with a mural on the side of the building. Located in the historic Vaughn Hall.
Montello Historical District Park Street corner park with historic images and descriptions of old Montello and use of the river.
Montello Lock and Dam Lock gates are no longer intact, but the lock walls are.
Mouth of the Bois Brule River Historic Marker Historic marker that reads: 'Here, one of Wisconsins most historic and beloved rivers joins Americas largest fresh water lake. The Brule River, famous for trout fishing, canoeing, and unparalleled beauty, was important to early travelers as a waterway connecting Lake Superior and the Mississippi....
Mural of the Riverboat President Riverboat mural on the side of Scabs bar.
Murphy Library Extensive archives on riverboats open to researchers.
Neenah Dam The Fox River's original dam. A lock was once operated here.
Omro Historical Marker Located along one of Wisconsin's first transportation and communication routes, the community of Omro developed quickly on the Fox River. French fur trader and blacksmith Charles Omreau had a trading post here and give his name to the future city. Founded in 1842, Omro grew from a village in 1849...
Onalaska Historical Society Museum Located in the Onalaska Public Library, exhibits focus on Onalaska's lumbering past, early settlers, and railroad history.
Osceola Historical Society Museum Osceola Historical Society museum with rotating exhibits on the areas history.
Oshkosh Public Museum The museum preserves the heritage of Oshkosh and the Lake Winnebago Region of Wisconsin.
Paine Row Houses Nineteenth century row houses on Summit Street that begin with house number 1202. The old Paine Lumber Company's Thrift Bank is located on the north end of Summit Street, at the corner of Summit and Congress (what is now the Supple Restaurant Group building).
Paper Discovery Center Exceptional exhibits for children, families, and seasoned veterans of the paper industry alike! From historical photos of people, buildings, and machines to samples of pulp and paper, theres lots to touch, smell, and examine.
Pepin Depot Museum Small museum that has a history of steam boats on the river. Museum also contains a Laura Ingalls Wilder Historic Marker. In the parking lot there is an anchor on display from the riverboat Phil Scheckel a steamboat that ran on the Chippewa river during the late 1800s.
Pepin Historical Museum The museum features artifacts from Pepin's past history as well as items relating to Laura Ingalls Wilder and that era. A well stocked gift shop is housed within the museum as well.
Perrot State Park Wisconsin state park along the river just outside of Trempealeau. A historic marker for Perrots Post is located just before the entrance building.  
Portage Canal Locks to the Wisconsin River Canal lock on Wisconsin River end of the Portage Canal. Not currently connected to the Wisconsin River as there is a large levee in between the canal and the Wisconsin River. Great view of the Wisconsin River.
Potosi Brewery The National Brewery Museum and Library is located on the site of the Potosi Brewery. The museum features historic beer and brewing memorabilia, including signs, advertisements, bottles, cans, and miscellaneous paraphernalia. Includes historic images of the riverboat Potosi and a description of i...
Potosi Station Historic river landing for the town of Potosi. A warehouse once stood at this spot. Today, it is used as a local fishing spot and boat landing, and provides a scenic view of the Mississippi River.
Potters Emigration Society Near here in 1849 Thomas Twiggs began a settlement of unemployed potters from Staffordshire, England. To help farmers on both sides of the Fox River reach his store and blacksmith shop at Twiggs' Landing, he operated Emancipation Ferry, named to express his hope that here they would find freedom ...
Prairie du Chien Museum at Fort Crawford Fort Crawford Museum is operated by the non-profit Prairie du Chien Historical Society. The museum boasts more than 50 exhibits in 3 buildings, which reflect the historical society's mission to tell the story of Prairie du Chien with emphasis on Fort Crawford, especially the amazing story of Dr. ...
Prescott Historical Society Museum Local historical society museum and chamber of commerce. Riverboat exhibits within the museum. In the old H. S. Miller bank building the arched windows were brought in an steamboat when the building was constructed and the building is currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Rafting on the Mississippi Historic Marker After 1837 the vast timber resources of northern Wisconsin were eagerly sought by settlers moving into the mid-Mississippi valley. By 1847 there were more than thirty saw-mills on the Wisconsin, Chippewa, and St. Croix river systems, cutting largely Wisconsin white pine. During long winter months...
Rapide Croche Lock and Dam The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. Best v...
River Bluffs History Center Local history museum located within an old church.
Sea Wing Memorial Park Park on the river with a memorial to the Sea Wing riverboat disaster. Historic marker reads: 'Home port here it capsized in Lake Pepin killing 98 of the 215 people aboard 22 of them from WI. The disaster ranks as one of Wisconsins worst transportation disasters. Occurred on 13 July 1890 ranks amo...
Site of Fort Antoine Historic Marker Nicholas Perrot was a daring adventurer, fur trader, and able diplomat. The hand-some Frenchman built Fort St. Antoine on the shore of Lake Pepin near here in 1686. Alarmed by the aggressions of the English, the French government felt it was necessary to repeat their claims with sufficient pomp a...
Site of Red Bird's Village Historic Marker First Battle of the Bad Ax was fought opposite, between 37 Winnebagos, on Minnesota and Wisconsin islands, and crew of keel boat O.H. Perry grounded on sandbar. Fatalities: 4 whites, 7 Indians. The same day Red Bird killed Lip Cap and Gagnier at Prairie du Chein. He died in prison there.
Solon Springs Historical Museum Features the history of the local timber industries, railroads, and water bottling company for which the town was named.
Spirit of the Northwest Statue Statue located in front of the Brown County courthouse of Claude Allouez, Nicholas Perrot, and member of the Meskwaki Nation, commemorating exploration into the northwest, beginning in the Green Bay region in 1668.
St. Croix Falls Park and Dam Park that overlooks the hydroelectric dam on the St Croix River. Has a bronze plaque on a rock, a bronze statute, and a mill stone on display.
St. Croix National Scenic Riverway Visitor Center and Park Headquarters Some of the Riverway's history is documented and interpreted in visitor center exhibits and programming.
St. John Mine St. John Mine, originally a natural cave, was worked by Native Americans before Wisconsin's 1827 'Lead Rush.' Willis St. John, first Non-American to work the mine which now bears his name, made a small fortune here between 1828 and 1848. Learn how miners toiled 12-hour days, marvel at stalactites...
Statue of James Marquette This statue, located in the Wisconsin welcome center where Highway 18 enters Wisconsin, commemorates the voyage of Marquette and Jolliet into the Mississippi to map the northern section of the river. From Green Bay, Marquette and Jolliet traveled down the Fox River, nearly to its headwaters, and ...
Stockholm Institute and Old Post Office Museum Small museum on river culture located in the old post office.
Stockholm Village Park City park with camping and a 700 foot stone pier that extends into the river.
Swarthout Museum Part of the LaCrosse Historical Society's changing exhibits on the history of LaCrosse, emphasizing river life, industry, and commerce.
The History Museum at the Castle Explore history through hands-on activities at The History Museum at the Castle. Exhibits weave national and local events together to provide perspective and inspire an appreciation for history. One-of-a-kind artifacts, documents and photographs from the Museum's extensive collection helps increa...
Upper Fox River Historic Marker On these banks of the Upper Fox River June 7, 1673, explorers Marquette and Jolliet visited the Mascoutin Indian Tribe that lived here. For many years traders and missionaries camped here while visiting the Indians. In 1846 Nathan Strong, a Fourierite, was commissioned by the Federal Government t...
Villa Louis Villa Louis has connections to fur trade through the Dousman family, who sent furs up the Wisconsin/Fox waterway to the Great Lakes. Mr. Dousman was also an owner of Mississippi riverboats and was partial owner of the sidewheel riverboat War Eagle.
Voyageur Park Voyageur Park has a good view of the DePere lock, as well as two historic markers within the park grounds.
Vulcan Heritage Park Parking area and park along the river with a great view of the dam and a nice river walk on the south side of the river with interpretive signage.
Vulcan Street Power Plant The first Edison hydroelectric central station to serve a system of private and commercial customers in North America that began operation on September 30, 1882. The story of its development provides keen insight into the nation's first experiences with the electric light. The present site is an ...
War Eagle Maritime Trails Marker Just up the Black River from this point lie the remains of the sidewheel riverboat War Eagle. Built in Fulton, Ohio, in 1854, she boasted 46 staterooms, fine velvet carpets, luxurious furniture, and onboard barbershops. During the Civil War, the War Eagle transported troops and supplies. Her only...
War Eagle Mural Mural of riverboat War Eagle on the side a building.
Wilke Memorial Park Osceola Falls a lumber mill as first established in 1855 and a flour mill in 1854. Became a stop for excusion boats on the St. Croix River during the 1880s. Historic marker reads: 'First settled by William Kent in 1844 when he came looking for lumber for ship masts. Built a lumber mill powered by...
Winona Trail Old Military Road Stone monument that marks the end of the trail on which Marquette and Joliet entered the Wisconsin River on June 14, 1673.
Wyalusing State Park State park at the confluence of the Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers. Two explorers, Marquette and Jolliet, mapped the connection between the Great Lakes and the Mississippi and made the connection on June 17, 1673.
© 2017 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society