Edith H. Koyen (1890)
Scroll Down
By The Numbers
Lives Lost
Depth (ft)
Service History

1890: The wooden two masted scow-schooner Edith H. Koyen was built in Detroit Harbor on Washington Island at the tip of the Door Peninsula. The vessel was named in honor of A.A. Koyen's (the builder) daughter Edith.

Last Document Of Enrollment Surrendered: Milwaukee: 8/19/1898.
Final Voyage

November 1897: The scow-schooner Edith H. Koyen, while under command of Captain Chris Braunsdord, was moored at the pier off Clay Banks, Wisconsin when she developed serious leaks. The vessel was towed to Kewaunee Harbor where in May of 1898 she settled to the bottom while docked. By November 1st, 1906 a contract was awarded to remove the sunken Koyen along with three other vessels. On December 27th, 1906 the Edith H. Koyen was raised from the Kewaunee Harbor and towed out into Lake Michigan and sunk off Kewaunee.
Confirmed Location     Unconfirmed location
© 2018 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society