The remains of the Emerald
lies in fifteen feet of water just west of the Lake Superior District Power plant in Ashland. The wreck was salvaged after abandonment; boiler, walking beam engine and additional machinery removed for scrap metal to be used in the war.
It appears that the Emerald
last sailed in 1893 and was abandoned sometime after then. The last listing of the Emerald
in the Merchants Vessels Of The United States is in 1902. The vessel settled in about fifteen feet of water just west of the Lake Superior District Power Plant in Ashland Harbor. Another reference states that the vessel lies "in about fifteen feet of water, right alongside the old W.R. Durfee's dock, between the power plant and the pig iron dock".
The sidewheel steampaddle Emerald
was built in 1862 at Algomac, Michigan to be used as a packet steamer around the Great Lakes. The Emerald
was brought to the Ashland area in the 1880's to tow logs from the north ashore of Lake Superior and to carry excursionists around the Apostle Islands and between Ashland, Bayfield and Washburn.
Besides being an excursionist and packet steamer theEmerald
was also known as a wrecking steamer; "In the spring of 1892 Mr. McAfee was appointed chief engineer of the side-wheel steamer Emerald
of Ashland, in the excursion business. She carried a wrecking outfit and was also engaged in trying to locate the wreck of the Pewaubic
..." History Of The Great Lakes, page 1143. Besides locating the wreck of the Pewaubic
and sending a diver down on her (who later died on the wreck), "the Emerald
was chartered to raise the sunken ore steamer Lucerne
, which lies in 20 feet of water near Madeline Island, 20 miles from Ashland..." Buffalo Enquirer July 11, 1892.
Note: The well known three masted schooner (not steamer) Lucerne is located on the northeast side of Long Island near Ashland in 24 feet of water and the hull is still pretty much intact and a well known dive site.