On June 21st, 1892 the wooden tug F.L. Danforth's
overheated boiler caused the deck to catch on fire and as a result the vessel burned to the waterline. At the time of the loss the Danforth
was tied up to a pier in the Duluth/Superior harbor on Lake Superior. The machinery was removed and placed into the tug Martin
"On June 21, 1892, she burned at Duluth--loss $6000."
--Herman G. Runge Collection
"The tug Danforth
, owned by Williams, Daugherty, & Upham, caught fire yesterday while tied to a dock at the East End. After the blaze was put out by some of the other tugs she started for the entry and when tied up at the pier had to summon the other tugs for assistance again. The damage was but slight."
--Superior Daily Call 6/21/1892
The wooden tug F.L. Danforth
was built at Buffalo, New York in 1867 by the builders Van Slyke and Notter. The vessel was valued at $7,000 and rated A1 in 1871 and A 2 1/2 in 1881.
August 1872: Burned nearly to the waterline at Duluth, Minnesota.
July 1889: Broke plunger in pump and was repaired in Marquette, Michigan.
November 1890: Burned at Duluth, Minnesota