G.A.R. (1877)
Scroll Down
By The Numbers
0
Built
0
Sank
0
Lives Lost
0
Depth (ft)
 
 
Service History

The small wooden tug G.A.R. was built in Fish Creek, Wisconsin in 1877.

July 1887: The tug G.A.R. received a new steel shaft at the Leathem & Smith dock.

Last Document Of Enrollment Surrendered: Milwaukee: 9/21/1891: "Burned."
Final Voyage

When about one mile inside the channel dredged thru Grassy Island at Green Bay, near the mouth of the Fox River, the wooden tug G.A.R. caught fire between 4 and 5 am on September 17, 1891. The crew successfully abandoned the burning vessel and were picked up by the tug Stewart Edwards. The G.A.R. burned to the waterline and was totally destroyed. Within a month the underwriters settled the loss with a payment of $1,200 and the wreck going to the Roulette brothers. The two brothers later recovered the engine, boiler, propeller and shaft from the destroyed vessel.
 
Map
Confirmed Location     Unconfirmed location
 
Nearby
© 2018 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society