The excursion steamer Harvard
was built originally for Cleghorn brothers who used it for an excursion boat and it became well known for moonlight rides around the lakes. The Harvard
was built by the Gleghorn Brothers (Hugh and Jack) at the Napper Boat yards. The vessel was 95 feet long and had two decks and was launched in the early spring of 1892. The engines and boilers as well as the pumps came from the Arthur Kaye
originally the Arrow
. The power plant was considered too small to handle a large vessel loaded with passengers. Eight tons of railroad iron were placed low in the hull for ballast.
"Old age caught up with the Harvard
in 1931. With the decrease in tourism that accompanied the depression, it was not economically feasible to renovate the venerable steamer. The superstructure was removed and the hull sunk just out from Williams Bay." Full Speed Ahead, Larkin