L.P. Hill (1889)
Scroll Down
By The Numbers
0
Built
0
Sank
0
Lives Lost
0
Depth (ft)
 
 
Service History


The wooden fishing tug L.P. Hill was built in 1889 at Fish creek, Wisconsin by W.W. Hill. The two cylinder steeple compound steam engine was built in Two Rivers, Wisconsin by Kahlenberg Brothers. The vessel was used primarily in the fishing trade in the Two Rivers, Door County area of Lake Michigan.

The tug L.P. Hill assisted the Arctic in December of 1889 during heavy seas with icy conditions by towing the Arctic to Horseshoe Island in Eagle Harbor.

"A new boiler is being put in the fishing tug L.P. Hill at West Harbor, Washington Island. The 'kettle' is one that did service in the tug Brooks of Algoma, and being practically new is allowed a steam pressure of 130 pounds. As the boiler taken out of the Hill was allowed only 80 pounds the change ought to make a big improvement in the power and speed of the boat." Door County Advocate 7/11/1907.

Last Document Of Enrollment Surrendered: Milwaukee: 2/14/1914: "Abandoned".
Final Voyage


On The Rocks Dive Guide lists this vessel, the L.P. Hill, abandoned near the Louisiana in Washington Harbor (unverified).
 
Nearby
© 2017 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society