The wooden two masted schooner M. Capron
was built in Conneaut, Ohio in 1875 by P. White. The official registry number was 90772. She was valued at either $1,000 or $1,200 at the time of loss. The vessel was not insured.
On April 16th,1897 the M. Capron
needed a tow into the shelter of Wind Point, near Racine during a snowstorm with heavy winds. Her steering apparatus was unshipped and attempts to repair it was unsuccessful due to the heavy seas.
On May 26, 1897 the M. Capron
was sold by the U.S. marshal to satisfy wage claims in Milwaukee. She was bid for $437.00 by L.A. Nelson of Racine for Captain A.J. Anderson.
Last Document of Enrollment Surrendered: Milwaukee: 10/31/1898: "Vessel Total Loss By Stranding".
On 10/31/1898, the schooner M. Capron
was driven ashore 1 1/4 mile west of the United States Life Saving Station at Bailey's Harbor while attempting to leave the south side of Brann's pier after loading a cargo of wood in a southerly gale. The Capron
was just setting sail when the wind came up causing her to drag anchor towards the schooner Vermot
. A line was secured to the Vermot
in order to stop dragging towards the beach, but the drift continued so the line was cut and the M. Capron
became a total wreck when she hit the shore. The cargo of wood broke free of the wreck and was mostly salvaged.