North Shore (1894)
Gallery
img
North Shore
img
Bon Ami
By The Numbers
0
Built
0
Sank
0
Lives Lost
0
Depth (ft)
 
 
Service History

The wooden steamer Bon Ami was built in 1894 at Saugatuck, Michigan by Reuben T. Rogers of Rogers & Bird. The Bon Ami was the largest boat built at Saygatuck. Her official registry number was 3626. The vessel was bought by the Hart Line in 1908 and used to carry freight and passengers. After the Hart Line ceased operations, 10/24/1918 she was heavily damaged by fire while in dock at Green Bay. Katherine Murphy of Chicago purchased her, rebuilt her as an excursion steamer adding a second stack and renaming her the North Shore in 1920. She was used on runs between Jackson Park and Navy Pier. She was laid up in 1933.

Documents of Enrollment surrendered: Chicago: December 23, 1944.
Final Voyage

Sometime around 1925 the North Shore was owned by Fred Hintze of Chicago and sometime during the 1930's, after the World's Fair, the North Shore was laid up in Sturgeon Bay. She was abandoned in 1945.
 
Map
Confirmed Location     Unconfirmed location
 
Nearby
© 2019 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society