"Steel paddle-wheel train ferry, built 1890 at Owen Sound, Ontario
, by the Polson Iron Works, hull no. 25, for the Canadian Pacific Railway service between Detroit and Windsor. Capacity: 16 rail cars. Retired from service in 1916 after the CPR acquired right-of-way through the Detroit-Windsor railroad tunnel. Laid up at Windsor. Sold 1926 to the Newaygo Timer Co., Ltd, Port Arthur and converted to a pulp wood barge by the Port Arthur Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. Used to haul pulpwood between Port Arthur and Ashland, Wisconsin."
foundered 13 October 1927 in tow of the tug Butterfield
at 3 am in heavy seas after the towline parted, off Outer Island, with 1100 tons of ground pulp. Crew of four was saved."
"...not much diving has been done on the Ontario
since the wreck lies in 700-800 feet of water. There was no salvage attempt, "