"The tug Union, owned by Gardner, was lengthened and converted into a freight and passenger boat. The Union had been built in Pensaukee in 1862 as a side-wheel steam tug, S.C. Fowles master carpenter, for towing purposes at Gardner's two sawmills at Little Sturgeon Bay and Pensaukee. The rebuilt Union was launched on April 13, 1866, and received her outfit in Green Bay. The steamer was placed in service on the west shore between Green Bay and Menominee..."
"The hull of the steamer Union
, lying at Fort Howard with her machinery removed and most of her upper works cut away, broke loose from her moorings during a severe storm on 4/14/1889. The partially dismantled vessel sank, and what was left of her upper works broke, free and drifted down the Fox River."