The August F. Janssen
was built in 1896 at Sturgeon Bay for the City of Milwaukee Fire Department as their third fireboat. She was built as a twin to the second fireboat, M.F.D. 17
(originally the James Foley
). Her name was changed to 23 M.F.D.
in 1901. The M.F.D. 23
was originally docked at the Cherry Street Bridge and she initially spent her time in the Milwaukee harbor, but later moved to the Monominee River Dock.
In December of 1922 the M.F.D. 23
was stripped and her engines were scrapped. In the following year she was towed out onto Lake Michigan, set ablaze and sunk.
lies in 72 feet of water upright. "Both the port and starboard sides of the vessel lie open from the vessel's hull, these are large sections extending most of the length of the vessel. there are also small parts of the structure that have broken off during the wreck formation process. The stern area has collapsed exposing the lower hull and keel. The rudder is lying on its port side...The propeller lies in the lake bottom with one blade imbedded in the lake bottom, two partly exposed and the fourth fully exposed... the propeller drive shaft is still in place..."