Attractions




Attraction Name Description
Albatross Riverboat Mural Mural of the riverboat Albatross in downtown Omro.
Algoma North Pierhead Light The first Algoma lighthouse was built at the harbor entrance in 1893. The red-painted steel tower that now marks the harbor entrance was built in 1932 during a federal harbor improvement project that included the 1,100 concrete North Pier. The light is located at the end of the North Pier at the ...
Alma Historical Society Museum Small local museum open seasonally on the weekends. Local area history museum housed in the historic Buffalo County Teachers College.
Anderson Dock and Museum Anderson Dock and Museum is a tribute to the history of Door County and small town life, specifically Ephraim. The Anderson complex is composed of four main buildings. Anderson Barn tells of Ephraim's past through photographs, artwork, artifacts, and stories, as well as changing exhibits. The Sva...
Apostle Islands Cruise Service Lake Superior is the largest body of fresh water in the world. A cruise among the Apostle Islands will leave you with a lasting memory of the pure beauty of the crystal clear water. Guided tours on each cruise describe the historical and natural resources of this unique, beautiful area. Join an A...
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore Wisconsin's northernmost landscape juts out into Lake Superior as the scenic archipelago known as the Apostle Islands. The national lakeshore includes 21 islands and 12 miles of mainland Lake Superior shoreline, featuring pristine stretches of sand beach, spectacular sea caves, remnant old-growth...
Appleton Lock 2 Maritime Trails Marker Steamboats on the Fox River The locks on the Lower Fox River were built for steamboats. When construction of the locks began in the 1850s, steam-powered vessels had replaced barges towed by mules and flat boats pushed by hand with long poles. The narrow locks favored steamboats with paddlewheels ...
Appleton Lock 3 Maritime Trails Marker Locks on the Fox. The Fox River once crashed over waterfalls and surged through rapids, descending 170 feet over 39 miles between Lake Winnebago and Green Bay. Appleton and Kaukauna were founded near especially rough passages and steep drops. In the 1850s, European settlers sought to make the Fox...
Appleton Lock 4 Maritime Trails Marker In the late 1920s, paddlewheel steamboats on the Lower Fox River gave way to barges pushed by diesel-powered tugboats. For several decades, the whistles of tugboats were as familiar to Fox Valley residents as those of trains are today. Fully loaded with 400 tons of coal, pulpwood, or other commod...
Appleton Lock No. 1 The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. Not cu...
Appleton Lock No. 2 The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. Along ...
Appleton Lock No. 3 The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current stat...
Appleton Lock No. 4 The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. Not cu...
Appomattox Buoy Lying in about 15-20 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible, although the long flight of steps leading down to Atwater Beach makes this an easier boat dive than shore dive. A popular shipwreck for new divers, as well as snorkelers and kayakers, the Appomattox can often be seen fro...
Appomattox Maritime Trails Marker Just 150 yards from here, in 20 feet of water, lies the Appomattox, the largest wooden steamer ever to sail the Great Lakes, possibly the world. At nearly 320 feet long, she marks the limit reached by wooden shipbuilding techniques. Her builder, Captain James Davidson, pushed those limits well af...
Ashland Breakwater Light Early in the twentieth century, a lighthouse was needed to guide vessels in and out of the booming Ashland harbor. Shallow areas near the light also are a potential hazard to navigation and needed to be marked. Located on the west end of the approximately one and a half mile long breakwater out i...
Ashland Historical Society Museum A non-profit volunteer organization, the Ashland Historical Society promotes the appreciation and pride of community through a visual connection to the past. This mission is accomplished by collecting and preserving memorabilia, artifacts, stories, and traditions, as well as functioning as an edu...
Ashland Memorial Park Overlooking Lake Superior and the historic Soo Line Ore Dock, Ashland Memorial Park contains artifacts from the maritime logging days of Ashland. Sitting at the western edge of the park is a propeller from a mid-20th century rafting tug which towed pulpwood from parts of Minnesota and Canada to A...
Australasia Buoy Lying in about 20 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat or kayak. Australasia is a popular shipwreck for beginner divers, and the bow and stern sections remain partially intact. The site is marked with a seasonal Wisconsin Historical Society shipwreck mooring buoy, allowi...
Baileys Harbor Lighthouse (Old) This forty-foot-high lighthouse was built in 1851-52 on a tiny peninsula on North Point Island, sometimes called Lighthouse Island, at the eastern entrance to Baileys Harbor from Lake Michigan. The rocks used in the circular tower are large, flat, and light-colored, harvested from the immediate a...
Baileys Harbor Range Lights Both built in 1869-1870, 'this rather odd-looking set of buildings is a unique duo of Wisconsin lights. The Baileys Harbor Range Lights were built to allow mariners a safer harbor passage than the Old Baileys Harbor Lighthouse afforded. The lights guided vessels in a northwesterly direction throu...
Basswood Island Quarry Dock The Basswood Island Quarry, otherwise known as the Bass Island Brownstone Quarry, is located at the south end of Basswood Island. In 1854, a group of investors from St. Paul, Minnesota and Kentucky originally purchased the land on which the quarry eventually opened. Each of the four original inve...
Battle of Bad Axe Historic Marker After holding off his pursuers at the Battle of Wisconsin Heights (about 11/2 miles east of present Sauk City), Black Hawk led his people over unfamiliar country toward the Mississippi. In the meantime, the Army alerted Ft. Crawford at Prairie du Chien. When the Indians reached the Mississippi, t...
Bayfield Commercial Fishermens' Memorial A tribute to the commercial fishermen of the Bayfield area, the Bayfield Commercial Fishermens' Memorial not only remembers those who have lost their lives at sea, but is also constructed from local maritime artifacts. Dedicated in 1981, the Memorial sits on the Bayfield docks and looks out over ...
Bayfield Heritage Center The Bayfield Heritage Association (BHA), founded in 1974, opened the Bayfield Heritage Center in 2003. A historical museum and research facility, the Bayfield Heritage Center provides a venue for the BHA to schedule regular exhibits and programs. The programming highlights the facets of Bayfield'...
Bayfield Historic Waterfront Maritime Trails Maker Historic marker that celebrates the Bayfield waterfront's rich history. Located at the corner of 1st Street and Wilson Ave. at the entrance to the Madeline Island Ferry Dock.
Bayfield Maritime Museum BAYFIELD MARITIME MUSEUM - Presenting 150 years of Bayfield's maritime heritage! The Bayfield Maritime Museum features hands on demonstrations and commercial fishing and boatbuilding exhibits, as well as exhibits on lighthouses, sailor crafts, shipwrecks, and much more!!
Beef Slough Historic Marker The Beef Slough was a sluggish branch of the Chippewa River that provided an excellent storage pond for the logs floated downstream by numerous logging companies. Here loggers were employed to arrange the mixed-up logs into orderly rafts to be towed by steamboats to sawmills down the Mississippi....
Berlin Lock and Dam The old lock and dam no longer exist, but you can see the entrance to the old lock at the Berlin public launch and the remains of the old dam along a river walk and overlook on the river.
Beyer Home Museum Built in 1868 and the first brick home in Oconto County, today the Beyer Home Museum has been completely restored in Victorian era fashion. Several exhibits inside the house focus on the maritime history of the area, examining both ice and open water fishing practices on nearby Lake Michigan, dis...
Big Bay State Park Located in the Apostle Islands on Madeline Island, the park features picturesque sandstone bluffs, lake caves and 1.5 miles of Lake Superior shoreline. A family campground, including walk-in campsites, hiking and nature trails, and 1.5 miles of sand beach await visitors.
Blackhawk Park The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' Blackhawk Park is located adjacent to the main channel of the Mississippi River. The park is three miles north of DeSoto, Wis., and 30 miles south of La Crosse, Wis., just off Wisconsin State Highway 35 on County Road BI. Blackhawk is the largest public use facil...
Brule / St. Croix Portage Old portage trail between the headwaters of the St. Croix and Brule Rivers. Walk in the footsteps of Native Americans and Voyageurs who used this very path.
Brule River Historic Marker Historic marker at Stone's Bridge Canoe Landing that reads:'The Brule River has served as a passageway between Lake Superior and the St. Croix and Mississippi Rivers for many centuries. The Indians traveled this route long before the first white man. DuLhut, passed through in June of 1680. A few ...
Brule River Historic Marker Historic Marker that reads: 'The Brule River flows in the former channel of a larger river which once flowed in the opposite direction and drained melting ice from glacial Lake Duluth. The receding glacier created Lake Superior and also carved the valley now occupied by the Brule. Instead of flow...
Bullhead Point Maritime Trails Marker To visit the Bullhead Point City Park in Sturgeon Bay: Head north on N. Duluth Ave. Keep going straight on Duluth Ave. when County Road C turns east. Bullhead Point will be on the right, across from the old stone quarry which is on the left. In 1931 three abandoned vessels were burned to the wate...
Bullhead Point Site In 1931 three abandoned vessels were burned to the waterline at Bullhead Point. These well-worn remnants of the once thriving limestone fleet were last owned by the Sturgeon Bay Stone Company. The hulls of the vessels Ida Corning, Oak Leaf, and Empire State lie just offshore from the point and re...
Cana Island Lighthouse Yes, it is possible to stroll to an island. Cana Island, with its historic lighthouse facilities, is open to the public seasonally. Please call or visit the Web site below for details. Walk across the rock causeway from the Door County mainland to the island. Step inside the keeper's house where,...
Carferry Badger During the summer season the last coal-fired railroad carferry on the Great Lakes shuttles passengers and automobiles across Lake Michigan between Manitowoc and Ludington, Michigan. The Badger offers a rare opportunity for non-mariners to experience a slice of life on a Great Lakes steamboat. The...
Carrington Buoy Lying in nearly 60 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat. Carrington is a popular shipwreck for beginner divers, and remains scattered on the bottom of Green Bay. The site is marked with a seasonal Wisconsin Historical Society shipwreck mooring buoy, allowing boats to tie...
Cassville Ferry The town of Cassville is home to one of the last operating car ferries on the Upper Mississippi River. Beginning operations in 1833, the Cassville Ferry service is now the oldest operating ferry service in Wisconsin. The ferry service currently runs between Cassville, Wisconsin and Turkey River, ...
Cassville Ferry Maritime Trails Marker Cassville's first ferry, a 40-foot row boat, crossed the Mississippi River in 1833. In 1836, 23-year-old New Yorker, Nelson Dewey was lured to Cassville by its promise as the potential capital of the Wisconsin Territory and crossed the Mississippi River via the Cassville Ferry. Twelve years later...
Cassville Riverside Park Cassville Riverside Park features an historic steamboat mooring ring that is still in place along the river that was used to moor historic river boats while they loaded and unloaded at Cassville.
Cedars Lock The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. Cannot...
Challenge Keel Located at Kohler-Andrae State Park are the keel remains of the schooner Challenge. Built in 1852 by William Wallace Bates of Manitowoc, WI, the 90 foot long Challenge was the first clipper-type schooner built on the Great Lakes, and was dubbed the 'Belle of Lake Michigan.' Mainly hauling freight...
Chambers Island Lighthouse Built in 1868, this lighthouse is located on Chambers Island off the west shore of the Door County peninsula in Green Bay. The lighthouse stands in a 40-acre park and is open seasonally when the caretaker is present. Access to the island is limited to excursion boats. Please call the island caret...
Christina Nilsson Buoy Lying in about 10 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat. Christina Nilsson is a popular shipwreck for beginner divers. The site is marked with a seasonal Wisconsin Historical Society shipwreck mooring buoy, allowing boats to tie up directly above the site while protecting...
Christina Nilsson Maritime Trails Marker This is a perfect site for snorkelers and kayakers! The schooner Christina Nilsson lies in 15' of water just off the Old Baileys Harbor Lighthouse. The site is a boat entry dive. On October 23, 1884, the Christina Nilsson departed Escanaba, Mich., carrying 525 tons of pig iron bound for Chicago. ...
Combined Locks - Upper and Lower The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules.
Continental Maritime Trails Marker The wreck of the steam-powered bulk freighter Continental lies about a mile north of the Rawley Point Lighthouse. After 22 years on the Great Lakes, the Continental met her fate in a blinding snowstorm. Early on a December morning in 1904, the Continental was steaming south past Twin Rivers Point...
Dams on the Mississippi Historic Marker Lock and Dam No. 8 at Genoa, 679.2 miles above the mouth of the Ohio River, is set on a foundation of sand, gravel and broken rock. It has a 110 foot wide chamber and an 11 foot lift from the lower to the upper pool. Construction of the dam cost $6,702,500 and affected 18,591 acres of land. In Ma...
Daniel Lyons Buoy Lying in about 100 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat. Daniel Lyons is a popular shipwreck for advanced divers, and despite its broken hull, large sections of the hull, machinery, and elements of the ship's rigging make this an incredibly interesting dive site. The sit...
Daniel Lyons Maritime Trails Marker About 8 miles northeast of here, the old wooden schooner Daniel Lyons rests 110 feet beneath Lake Michigan's waves. The three-masted Daniel Lyons delivered grain to ports around the Great Lakes in the 1870s, until a collision sent her to the bottom the night of Oct. 17, 1878. That night, the Dani...
Denis Sullivan The schooner Denis Sullivan is a re-creation of a nineteenth-century traditional Great Lakes schooner. The only Tall Ship to take shape in Wisconsin in over a hundred years, she sailed throughout the Great Lakes and beyond after her launch in the fall of 2000. She is a highly visible focal point ...
DePere Lock Maritime Trails Marker Wisconsin's Maritime Trails-Early Routes. In an attempt to exert stronger control over Native American groups, the United States government set up a series of forts along the Fox-Wisconsin River system. Fort Howard was built at the mouth of the Fox River. Under the watchful presence of the fort, ...
Devils Island Lighthouse Devils Island is the northernmost point in Wisconsin. First lit in 1901, the white iron tower at the northern end of the island is topped with a third-order Fresnel lens and continues to this day to be an active aid to navigation. Within the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, Devils Island is ac...
Door County Maritime Museum Located on the west shore of the Sturgeon Bay Canal, the Door County Maritime Museum features exhibits on the maritime history of Door County. Open year round, exhibits of special interest include the pilot house from the Great Lakes steamer Elba, a replica of the Roen Steamship Company office, a...
Door County's Stone Fleet Maritime Trails Marker Behind you, Government Bluff rises 150 feet above the waters of Sturgeon Bay. It was here that Door County’s first industry began in 1834- a limestone quarry. Originally intended for a military fort that was never constructed, the stone was later used by the federal government to construct piers ...
Dredge No. 6 Buoy Also known as Fitz Simons & Connell Dredge No. 6 (and by some wreck divers as Dredge 906). Lying in about 75 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat and remains one of Milwaukee's most popular dive sites for intermediate divers. With the considerable overhead environment on...
Eagle Bluff Lighthouse The Eagle Bluff lighthouse is open seasonally and located in Peninsula State Park, between Fish Creek and Ephraim on Hwy 42. All visitors must pay the daily park admission fee or have a current annual park sticker. A map of the park may be obtained at the park entrance. An active aid to navigatio...
Early Steamboat Tourism Maritime Trails Marker Maritime Trails Marker commemorating early steamboat tourism to Door County at Anderson Dock in Ephraim
Early Vessels Maritime Trails Marker The Ojibwe tell of the origins of their birchbark canoe: The spirit Winneboujou was searching for his mother. He did not know that she had become a spirit to be with his father, the West Wind. Winneboujou was told that a large fish swallowed his mother while she was walking along Lake Superior. H...
Erie L. Hackley Maritime Trails Marker On October 3, 1903, the Erie L. Hackley departed Menominee with nineteen people on board, bound for Egg Harbor across the bay. About an hour later, a violent squall arose, whipping the waves to monstrous heights. Soon, great walls of water crashed onto the vessel, tearing the pilothouse and cabin...
Eureka Lock No. 1 Lock, dam, and lockkeeper's house at end of DNR parking area and boat ramp.
Ferryville Landing Small observation deck that overlooks historic ferry landing. Great place to watch the river, wildlife, river boats, and trains.
Fleetwing Maritime Trails Marker This is a perfect site for snorkelers and kayakers! The schooner Fleetwing lies in 11-25' of water just to the right of the public boat landing and historic marker at Garret Bay in Hedgehog Harbor. The site can be either a shore or boat entry dive. On Sept. 26, 1888, the Fleetwing departed Menomi...
Fort Winnebago Historical Marker Wayside on Highway 33 where it crosses the Fox River. Former location of Fort Winnebago, with Fort Winnebago and Marquette Historical Markers. There is also a cornerstone for the former location of the fort. Old Fort Winnebago Surgeons Quarters are across the highway from the Wayside. HIstoric ma...
Fort Winnebago Lock At the end of the road past the Indian Agency house is the lock to enter the canal from the Fox River. One gate is still in place and back filled to prevent its collapse. Also where the Marquette and the Portage Canal Ice Age Trails meet.
Forts Folle Avoine Historical Park Recreation of an a North West and an XY Company fur trading post.  Operated by the Burnette County Historical Society.
Fountain City Historical Society Small local museum open seasonally on the weekends.
Fox River Locks Maritime Trails Marker The Fox River navigation system has had four different owners since its completion in 1856. The Fox and Wisconsin Improvement company, the builder of the locks, spent more money than it made and went bankrupt in 1866. The company reformed as the Green Bay and Mississippi Canal Company, which sold...
Fox River State Trail The Fox River Trail offers a rich variety of scenery as it meanders from downtown Green Bay along the Fox River and passes through the Brown County communities of Allouez, De Pere, Rockland, Wrightstown and Holland. The 20 mile trail has approximately 8 miles of paved surface on the more urban se...
Francis Hinton Buoy Lying in about 15 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat. Francis Hinton is a popular shipwreck for beginner divers, and remains partially intact with the compound engine resting off her starboard side, and her boiler rising to within 5 feet of the surface. The site is mar...
Francis Hinton Maritime Trails Marker Offshore from this point lies the wreck of the steam barge Frances Hinton. The Francis Hinton was built in Manitowoc in 1889 for the Lake Michigan lumber trade. She was the last ship built by the Danish immigrants Jasper Hansen & Hans Scove. On the morning of Nov. 16, 1909, the Frances Hinton was...
Frank O'Connor Buoy Lying in about 70 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat. Frank O'Connor is a popular shipwreck for intermediate divers. The site is marked with a seasonal Wisconsin Historical Society shipwreck mooring buoy, allowing boats to tie up directly above the site while protectin...
Frank O'Connor Maritime Trails Marker The historic marker for the Frank O'Conner is located at the Cana Island Lighthouse, north of Baileys Harbor. The shipwreck of the Frank O'Connor lies 2.6 miles NNE of Cana Island on the Lake Michigan side of Door County. The wreckage of the 300-foot-long vessel sits in 65 feet of water. Two seas...
Gallinipper Maritime Trails Marker About 17 miles northeast of here lies the Gallinipper, the oldest commercial vessel found in Wisconsin waters. Built in 1833, the wooden schooner began her days in the Great Lakes fur trade and finished her career bringing waves of immigrants to the new state of Wisconsin. Despite her age, the hi...
Gills Rock Maritime Museum When in the northern part of the Door Peninsula, be sure to visit the Door County Maritime Museum at Gills Rock. The museum is open seasonally. Please call or visit their Web site for details. The newly remodeled facility features the fishing tug Hope built in 1930 by Sturgeon Bay Boat Works (cur...
Governor's Bend Lock Remains of lock and dam on small island on the end of Lock Road. Also the trail head of the Winnebago Ice Age Trail.
Grassy Island Range Lights Grassy Island lies at the very southern end of Green Bay near the mouth of the Fox River. The Grassy Island Range Lights, built in 1872, were located on an eastern embankment that was cut through the island, enabling seamen to recognize the deepened artificial navigation channel in lower Green Ba...
Great River Road Visitor's Center at Freedom Park Visitor and heritage center. Building has displays of steam boating and logging on the Mississippi River as well as many historic interpretive signs along the scenic overlooks. Great views of the confluence of the St. Croix and the Mississippi Rivers. Located at Freedom Park overlooking the river.
Harrington Beach State Park Peacefulness and serenity draw people. The 636 acres with a mile-long Lake Michigan beach leave room to be alone with nature. Hiking, fishing, picnic areas, nature and cross-country ski trails are available.
Heritage Hill State Historical Park Located on the Fox River in Green Bay, Heritage Hill is a living history museum devoted to the preservation of its buildings and artifacts and the interpretation of the history of Northeastern Wisconsin and its people. There is always something new and fun to discover at Heritage Hill! Bring your...
Hermit Island Brownstone Quarry Dock The Excelsior Brownstone Quarry, owned by Fredrick Prentice of the Prentice Brownstone Company, operated on Wilson Island, or Hermit Island, from 1891 to 1897. The remains of the quarry are located on the northeast side of the island. In the 1850’s, a trader with the Hudson Bay Company working fo...
Hetty Taylor Buoy Lying in about 100 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat. Hetty Taylor is a popular shipwreck for intermediate divers, and remains intact. The site is marked with a seasonal Wisconsin Historical Society shipwreck mooring buoy, allowing boats to tie up directly above the s...
Historic Indian Agency House The Historic Indian Agency House was built by the U.S. government for John Kinzie in 1832. Kinzie was the Indian Agent to the Ho-Chunk Nation (Winnebago), and he and his wife, Juliette Magill Kinzie, lived at the portage from 1832-1834. Juliette Kinzie would later write of the young couples exper...
Hixon House Historic house owned by the LaCrosse Historical Society. Homestead of a LaCrosse lumber baron who owned sawmills and lumberyards on the Mississippi.
Interstate State Park Site of the world's largest log jam in 1886 when 150 million board feet of logs piled up along three miles of the river. It took 200 men working for six weeks to free the jam.
Jackson Harbor Maritime Museum The museum is located in two former fishing sheds located in Jackson Harbor where fisherman continue in the commercial fishing trade. View artifacts, photographs and videos on local maritime history including commercial fishing, Coast Guard and area shipwrecks. Special programs available during t...
Jacobsen Museum Located on the south shore of Washington Island's Little Lake, the Jens Jacobson Museum houses an eclectic collection of natural and historical artifacts from the area, including ship models hand-carved by Jacobsen himself. Outside the museum you will find large artifacts salvaged years ago from ...
Jennibel Buoy Lying in about 120 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat. Jennibel is a popular shipwreck for advanced divers, and remains mostly intact. The site is marked with a seasonal Wisconsin Historical Society shipwreck mooring buoy, allowing boats to tie up directly above the si...
Joys Maritime Trails Marker Resting 150 yards off shore from here is the wreckage of the steam barge Joys, a vessel once hailed as a 'greyhound among lumber carriers' for her record-breaking speed. The Joys was constructed in 1884 in the Milwaukee Ship Yard Company. She hauled lumber, iron, and stone through the Sturgeon Ba...
Kate Kelly Buoy Lying in about 55 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat. Kate Kelly is a popular shipwreck for beginner divers, and with the schooner's keelson assembly, windlass, starboard bow section, and portions of the centerboard easily discernable, it remains a great site to explor...
Kate Kelly Maritime Trails Marker About two miles offshore from here, the wooden schooner Kate Kelly lies broken and scattered in 55 feet of water. She had departed Alpena, Mich., in early May 1895, loaded with railroad ties and bound for her home port of Chicago. In command was Captain Hartley J. Hatch, one of the Great Lakes' m...
Kaukauna Guard Lock The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. There ...
Kaukauna Lock No. 1 The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. There ...
Kaukauna Lock No. 2 The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. Not cu...
Kaukauna Lock No. 3 The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. There ...
Kaukauna Lock No. 4 The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. Has a ...
Kaukauna Lock No. 5 The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. Not cu...
Kenosha (Southport) Lighthouse Built in 1866, this light is located on Simmons Island adjacent to Simmons Island Park. No longer an active aid to navigation, the 55 foot conical tower is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is undergoing restoration. The Kenosha Historical Society received a grant in 2003 to ...
Kenosha North Pierhead Light This pierhead light is typical of many red pierhead lights marking the entrance to Lake Michigan harbors. It was built in 1906 and is at the end of the 750-foot concrete north pier in Kenosha. The tower is fifty feet tall and made of riveted steel plates. It operates seasonally, and is not open t...
Kenosha Public Museum The Kenosha Public Museum has many exhibits on the natural and cultural history of the area. Archaeological and maritime highlights include replicas of mammoth remains found in the area and part of a 1,800 year old dugout canoe, the oldest watercraft found in the state.
Kewaunee County Historical Museum Built in 1876 as the local sheriff's office, residence, and county jail, today the Kewaunee County Historical Museum houses a wealth of historical photographs and artifacts from Kewaunee County. Displays range from a recreation of a pioneer family's late 19th-century living room to wood carvings ...
Kewaunee Pierhead Light The present pierhead light marking the south pier in Kewaunee was built in 1931. The small four-sided tower is topped with a octagonal lantern room, which houses the fifth-order Fresnel lens that still operates year round as an active aid to navigation. Although you cannot enter the lighthouse, y...
Kinnickinnick State Park State Park at the confluence of the Kinnickinnick and St. Croix rivers.
Kohler-Andrae State Park Kohler-Andrae State Park in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, is the home of majestic sand dunes, miles of golden beach, shimmering blue Lake Michigan water, whispering pines, an abundance of wildlife, and recreational activities for everyone. Kohler-Andrae State Park is one of the last natural preserves alo...
L. Wade Childress The pushboat L. Wade Childress sank near Fort Madison, Iowa, on 23 December 1985. Today, she rests 'on the hard' along County Highway K north of Prairie du Chien.
La Pointe Lighthouse Lighthouse located on Long Island in Lake Superior and is one of the oldest skeletal lighthouses on the Great Lakes.
LaCrosse Visitors Center and Riverside Museum LaCrosse visitors center and riverside museum has large wooden Indian and riverboat tours LaCrosse Queen Cruises. The visitors center is at the north end of large riverside park with long riverwalk, grassy areas, and view of the river. The park is within walking distance of the downtown.
Lake Mary Canoe Maritime Trails Marker This two thousand-year-old dugout canoe was discovered in Lake Mary in Kenosha County. The preserved canoe is now on display at the Kenosha Public Museum. Ancient dugout canoes are occasionally preserved when environmental conditions are just right. The canoe above was submerged and waterlogged w...
Lawler Park Waterfront park in Prairie du Chien that has many signs about early Wisconsin and its ties to the Mississippi River, as well as the connection between the Mississippi and the Great Lakes via the Wisconsin/Fox waterway. Great place to see modern pushboats and barges working on the river.
Le Griffon Maritime Trails Marker Maritime Trails Marker commemorating the voyage of Rene-Robert Sieur de La Salle.
Lions Park on the St. Croix River Waterfront park that has two historic markers  a Wisconsin Historical Society historic marker for the battle of St. Croix Falls and a Wisconsin Heritage Tourism historic marker for the worlds largest log jam that occurred near here.
Little Chute Guard Lock The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules.
Little Chute Lock The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules.
Little Chute Lock Maritime Trails Marker Working on the Fox In 1854, one hundred and fifty men found jobs building canals, locks and dams in Little Chute. Many of the workers were Irish, and a sizable number of Dutchmen brought canal building experience with them from the Netherlands. By 1856, the work had made it possible for steamboat...
Little Kaukauna Lock and Dam The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. The Li...
Lottie Cooper The remains of the Lottie Cooper are accessible to the public year round at the Sheboygan waterfront in DeLand Park. In April of 1896 the three-masted schooner Lottie Cooper was wrecked just off Sheboygan, Wisconsin, in a roaring gale. The wreckage was found buried in Sheboygan Harbor during the ...
Louisiana Maritime Trails Marker The Louisiana Maritime Trails historic marker is located at School House Beach, Washington Harbor, Washington Island. Washington Island, at the tip of Door County, can be accessed by seasonal ferry. The bulk carrier Louisiana, built in 1887, was a steam driven freighter. Nearly 270 feet long, she...
Lucerne Buoy Lying in about 20 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat. Lucerne is a popular shipwreck for beginner divers, and remains mostly intact with machinery remaining. The site is marked with a seasonal Wisconsin Historical Society shipwreck mooring buoy, allowing boats to tie u...
Lucerne Maritime Trails Marker About 200 yards off Long Island, in 20 feet of water, lies the wreck of the Lucerne. In her day, the three-masted wooden schooner was one of the largest and sturdiest vessels on the Great Lakes. The barometer indicated good weather when the Lucerne left Ashland the night of Nov. 15, 1886. The big...
Lumberman Buoy Lying in about 60 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat. Lumberman is a popular shipwreck for beginner divers, and remains mostly intact. The site is marked with a seasonal Wisconsin Historical Society shipwreck mooring buoy, allowing boats to tie up directly above the si...
Lumberman Maritime Trails Marker Four miles offshore from Bender Park, 60 feet beneath the surface of Lake Michigan, lies the well-preserved wreck the of Lumberman. For three decades, the three-masted wooden schooner hauled lumber, barrel staves, railroad ties, and other forest products from isolated towns on Lake Michigan to th...
Madeline Island Historical Museum Founded in 1958 by several inhabitants of the island, the Madeline Island Historical Museum is today maintained by the Wisconsin Historical Society. Exhibits of rare and one-of-a-kind artifacts, most of them found on Madeline Island or one of the surrounding islands that dot Chequamegon Bay, illu...
Mahoning Buoy Lying in about 40 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat. Mahoning is a popular shipwreck for beginning divers. The site is marked with a seasonal Wisconsin Historical Society shipwreck mooring buoy, allowing boats to tie up directly above the site while protecting the shi...
Manitowoc Breakwater Lighthouse Built in 1918 and standing fifty feet tall, the lighthouse that marks the end of the north breakwater in the port of Manitowoc has retained its fifth-order Fresnel lens, which continues to guide mariners into this historically important port. An active aid to navigation, the interior of the light...
Manitowoc-Two Rivers Mariners Trail The Manitowoc-Two Rivers Mariners' Trail is the finest shore-hugging, surf-sounding paved six miles of trail anywhere on Lake Michigan's shore. Hike, bike, or roller blade and enjoy the longest, continuous, most scenic view of Lake Michigan in the state of Wisconsin! The popular Mariners' Trail b...
Marinette County Historical Soc. Museum The Marinette County Historical Society 'Logging' Museum offers a look into 130-years of local history. Though a main focus of the museum is on Marinette's long logging history, other displays include dioramas, hunting tools, weapons, clothing, musical instruments and the restored Evancheck log c...
McMullen and Pitz Dredge Buoy Lying in about 85 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat. McMullen and Pitz Dredge is a popular shipwreck for intermediate divers, and remains mostly intact. The site is marked with a seasonal Wisconsin Historical Society shipwreck mooring buoy, allowing boats to tie up di...
Menasha Lock The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. The Fr...
Mercord Mill Park Located at the confluence of the St. Croix and Mississippi River, a sawmill was located at this site in 1852, and later the Mercord family ran a flour mil at this location. There is a historic marker installed by Prescott at this location, as well as one installed by the Mercord family. Other att...
Meridian Buoy Lying in about 40 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat. Meridian is a popular beginner for advanced divers. The site is marked with a seasonal Wisconsin Historical Society shipwreck mooring buoy, allowing boats to tie up directly above the site while protecting the shipw...
Michigan Island Lighthouses Lying within the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, Michigan Island has two lighthouses; the old lighthouse, built in 1857, as well as the new lighthouse built in 1929. Although no regular ferries service the island, Michigan Island is accessible by private boat in the summer. A dock on the sout...
Milwaukee Breakwater Lighthouse Built in 1926, the Milwaukee Breakwater Lighthouse remains one of the last examples of a fully enclosed breakwater lighthouse on the Great Lakes. The lighthouse sits about in the middle of the four-mile stretch of breakwater barriers that protect the Milwaukee waterfront. The lighthouse is a whit...
Milwaukee Buoy Lying in about 130 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat. Milwaukee is one of the most popular shipwrecks near Milwaukee for advanced divers, and remains mostly intact with a cargo of rail cars still on board. The site is marked with a seasonal Wisconsin Historical Societ...
Milwaukee Maritime Trails Marker The 338-foot railroad carferry SS Milwaukee was launched as the Manistique, Marquette and Northern #1 in 1903. She was designed by the famed marine architect Robert Logan and built in Cleveland by the American Shipbuilding Company. Acquired by the Grand Trunk Railroad in 1908, the Milwaukee shutt...
Milwaukee Pierhead Light The Milwaukee Pierhead light sits just east of the confluence of Milwaukee's three rivers, the Milwaukee, the Menomonee, and the Kinnickinnic. This area is actually an artificial channel dredged in 1857 replacing the natural flow of the rivers to Lake Michigan a half mile south of the present loc...
Milwaukee Public Library Marine Collection Housed at the Milwaukee Public Library's Central Branch on Wisconsin Avenue, the Marine Collection is one of the largest archival collections in the Great Lakes region. Maintained by the Wisconsin Marine Historical Society, the collection is used frequently by people conducting research on topics...
Milwaukee Public Museum The Milwaukee Public Museum houses a multitude of exhibits, activities, and even an IMAX theater. Of particular historic interest is the Streets of Old Milwaukee exhibit, which recreates this waterfront city's past. The eclectic exhibits touch on many different subjects from history to geology, a...
Mississippi Lock and Dam No. 10 Constructed and placed in operation November 1937, Lock and Dam No. 10 is located on Mississippi River mile 615.0 near Guttenberg, Iowa. The concrete dam is 763 feet long with four roller gates and eight tainter gates. The earth embankment is 6,000 feet long with a concrete spillway that is 1,200...
Mississippi Lock and Dam No. 11 Lock and Dam 11 borders on the northern edge of Dubuque, Iowa, and is 583 miles above the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers. The movable dam has 13 submersible Tainter gates (20-feet high, 60-feet long) and three submersible roller gates (20-feet high, 100-feet long). The roller gates...
Mississippi Lock and Dam No. 4 Located on Mississippi River mile 752.8 in Alma, Wisconsin, Lock and Dam No. 4 was constructed and placed in operation in May, 1935. The dam consists of a concrete structure 367 feet long with six roller gates and 22 tainter gates. The earth embankment 5,400 feet long. The lock is 110 feet wide b...
Mississippi Lock and Dam No. 5a Located on Mississippi River mile 728.5 near Fountain City, Wisconsin, Lock and Dam No. 5a was constructed in 1932 and placed in operation in 1936. The dam consists of a concrete structure 682 feet long with five roller gates and five tainter gates. The earth embankment is 22,000 feet long with a...
Mississippi Lock and Dam No. 6 Located on Mississippi River mile 714.1 at Trempealeau, Wisconsin, Lock and Dam No. 6 was constructed and placed in operation in June 1936. The dam consists of a 893-foot long concrete structure with five roller gates and 10 tainter gates. The earth embankment is 2,600 feet long with a concrete o...
Mississippi Lock and Dam No. 7 Located on Mississippi River mile 702.5 near LaCrescent, Minnesota, Lock and Dam No. 7 was constructed and placed in operation in April, 1937. The lock in on the Minnesota side of the river, but there is a pathway over the top of the earth embankment along which you can walk to the lock. The dam ...
Mississippi Lock and Dam No. 8 Located on Mississippi River mile 679.2 near Genoa, Wisconsin, Lock and Dam No. 8 was constructed and put into operation by April 1937. The dam consists of a concrete structure 934 feet long with five roller gates and 10 tainter gates. An earth embankment 17,500 feet long with two submersible spi...
Mississippi Lock and Dam No. 9 Lock and Dam No. 9 is located on Mississippi River mile 647.9 near Lynxville, Wisconsin. Constructed and placed in operation in July 1937, the dam consists of a concrete structure 811 feet long with five roller gates and eight tainter gates. The earth embankment is 9,800 feet long with a grouted ...
Montello Historic Preservation  Society Montello Historic Preservation Society museum with a mural on the side of the building. Located in the historic Vaughn Hall.
Montello Historical District Park Street corner park with historic images and descriptions of old Montello and use of the river.
Montello Lock and Dam Lock gates are no longer intact, but the lock walls are.
Mouth of the Bois Brule River Historic Marker Historic marker that reads: 'Here, one of Wisconsins most historic and beloved rivers joins Americas largest fresh water lake. The Brule River, famous for trout fishing, canoeing, and unparalleled beauty, was important to early travelers as a waterway connecting Lake Superior and the Mississippi....
Mueller Stern The Mueller, formerly the Edwin C. Tice, was built in 1887 in Manitowoc, Wisc., and abandoned in 1935 near Sturgeon Bay. A two-masted wooden screw steamer, she was originally used for the Great Lakes lumber trades. In later life she carried stone and mixed cargoes, as well as acting as a tow for ...
Mural of the riverboat President Riverboat mural on the side of Scabs bar.
Murphy Library Extensive archives on riverboats open to researchers.
National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame Spread out over a four-building connected complex which surround lush gardens and giant sculptures of fish, the National Freshwater Fishing Museum is a truly unique Wisconsin maritime attraction. The highlight of the museum complex is a landmark 'Shrine to Anglers,' contained in a gargantuan conc...
Navy Memorial Park Dedicated in memory of U.S. Marines and Coast Guard from Kenosha, Navy Memorial Park sits in a fitting location, overlooking Kenosha Marina, Kenosha North Pierhead Light, Kenosha Lighthouse, and a short distance from the Kenosha Public Museum. Several maritime artifacts reside in the park, includ...
Neenah Dam The Fox River's original dam. A lock was once operated here.
Neville Public Museum The Neville Public Museum houses a variety of excellent exhibits, many of which illuminate the history of Green Bay. The permanent exhibit, On the Edge of the Inland Sea, takes visitors on a trip through history, beginning in a simulated glacier representing the last Ice Age, and ending with a lo...
Newport Maritime Trails Marker Near this spot in 1881, a Scandinavian immigrant named Hans Johnson built a large wooden pier. Soon afterward, Johnson and business partner Peter Knudson built a general store, a post office, and a lumber mill. For the next 40 years, these structures supported a thriving, lumber-based economy in ...
Newport State Park Newport State Park, northeast of Ellison Bay, is Wisconsin's only formally designated wilderness park. With 2,373 acres and 11 miles of Lake Michigan shoreline it offers quiet alternatives to bustling Door County. There are evergreen and hardwood forests, wetlands, and upland meadows. The park ha...
Niagara Buoy Lying in about 55 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat. Niagara is a popular shipwreck for beginner divers, and features the remains of one of the early palace paddle wheel steamers in Lake Michigan. The site is marked with a seasonal Wisconsin Historical Society shipwre...
Niagara Maritime Trails Marker The Niagara Maritime Trails historic marker is located on the Port Washington waterfront as an outdoor exhibit for the Port Washington Heritage Center. The wreckage of the sidewheel passenger steamer Niagara lies in 55 feet of water one mile off Belgium, Wisconsin. The site is marked with a Wisco...
Noquebay Buoy Lying in about 15 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat or kayak. Noquebay is a popular shipwreck for beginner divers. The site is marked with a seasonal Wisconsin Historical Society shipwreck mooring buoy, allowing boats to tie up directly above the site while protecting...
North Point (Milwaukee) Lighthouse This light is located at North Point, which is north of the entrance into the Milwaukee River from Lake Michigan. It sits on a high bluff, in beautiful Lake Park. This one site has seen many lighthouse structures through the years. The original lighthouse was built in 1855. The structure standing...
Northerner Buoy Lying in about 135 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat. Northerner is a popular shipwreck for advanced divers, and remains mostly intact. The site is marked with a seasonal Wisconsin Historical Society shipwreck mooring buoy, allowing boats to tie up directly above the ...
Ocean Wave Buoy Lying in about 110 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat. Ocean Wave is a popular shipwreck for advanced divers, and remains mostly intact with a screaming eagle figurehead still visible. The site is marked with a seasonal Wisconsin Historical Society shipwreck mooring bu...
Ocean Wave Maritime Trails Marker Four miles southeast of here, in 110 feet of water, lie the remains of the Ocean Wave. The two-masted wooden ship was a scow schooner, a boxy, flat-bottomed vessel of the late 1800s. Scow schooners could enter shallower harbors than more shapely vessels, and they connected small frontier towns to...
Omro Historical Marker Located along one of Wisconsin's first transportation and communication routes, the community of Omro developed quickly on the Fox River. French fur trader and blacksmith Charles Omreau had a trading post here and give his name to the future city. Founded in 1842, Omro grew from a village in 1849...
Onalaska Historical Society Museum Located in the Onalaska Public Library, exhibits focus on Onalaska's lumbering past, early settlers, and railroad history.
Osaugie Waterfront Trail The five mile long, asphalt-paved, Osaugie Waterfront Trail meanders past the one of the busiest harbors on the Great Lakes, passing several historic maritime sites. Beginning at the trailhead situated at the Superior and Douglas County Visitors Center, hikers and bikers head southeast past Super...
Osceola Historical Society Museum Osceola Historical Society museum with rotating exhibits on the areas history.
Oshkosh Public Museum The museum preserves the heritage of Oshkosh and the Lake Winnebago Region of Wisconsin.
Outagamie Museum Explore history through hands-on activities at The History Museum. Exhibits weave national and local events together to provide perspective and inspire an appreciation for history. One-of-a-kind artifacts, documents and photographs from the Museums extensive collection helps increase our understa...
Outer Island Lighthouse The northeastern limit of the Apostle Islands, the remote Outer Island lighthouse was built in 1874 and remains an active aid to navigation. Sitting atop a 40-foot bluff, the white brick tower offers an incredible view over Lake Superior. Situated just within the Apostle Islands National Lakeshor...
Paper Discover Center Exceptional exhibits for children, families, and seasoned veterans of the paper industry alike! From historical photos of people, buildings, and machines to samples of pulp and paper, theres lots to touch, smell, and examine.
Payne Row Houses Nineteenth century row houses on Summit Street that begin with hosue number 1202. The the old Payne Lumber Company's Thrift Bank is located on the north end of Summit Street, at the corner of Summit and Congress (what is now the Supple Restaurant Group building).
Peninsula State Park Peninsula State Park, established in 1909, is a 3,776-acre state treasure on Wisconsin's Door County peninsula. Nearly seven miles of Lake Michigan's Green Bay shoreline wrap around a landscape of forests, meadows and wetlands. Rocky bluffs ascend over 150 feet while deer graze contentedly in aba...
Pepin Depot Museum Small museum that has a history of steam boats on the river. Museum also contains a Laura Ingalls Wilder Historic Marker. In the parking lot there is an anchor on display from the riverboat Phil Scheckel a steamboat that ran on the Chippewa river during the late 1800s.
Pepin Historical Museum The museum features artifacts from Pepins past history as well as items relating to Laura Ingalls Wilder and that era. A well stocked gift shop is housed within the museum  as well.
Perrot State Park Wisconsin state park along the river just outside of Trempealeau. A historic marker for Perrots Post is located just before the entrance building.  
Peshtigo Reef Lighthouse This seventy-two foot light marks the shallow Peshtigo Reef that sticks out into Green Bay three miles beyond Peshtigo Point. Prior to the building of this lighthouse in 1934, the reef was marked by Lightship No.77, the Peshtigo Reef Lightship. The current light is a metal tower on a cement crib ...
Pier Wisconsin Pier Wisconsin is the home base of the The S/V Denis Sullivan, Wisconsin's Floating Classroom and Ambassador Flagship. A history lesson in itself, the S/V Denis Sullivan is a re-creation of a traditional Great Lakes schooner. The only Tall Ship to take shape in Wisconsin in over a hundred years, ...
Pilot Island Lighthouse Pilot Island is located east of Northport at the tip of the Door Peninsula, approximately two miles from an area known as the Porte des Morts or Death's Door. This area is particularly dangerous with numerous shoals to the south. Strategically located on the eastern edge of the Door passage, the ...
Pilot Island Maritime Trails Marker The Maritime Trails marker describing the three shipwrecks near Pilot Island is at the Northport Ferry Terminal of the Washington Island Ferry. The sign is on the right of the loading area. Pilot Island, which is not accessible to the public, is straight ahead of the sign. The Pilot Island shipwr...
Pilot Island Site The Pilot Island shipwrecks rest in 20-50 feet of water and are marked with a Society seasonal mooring buoy. On the night of October 28, 1891, the scow-schooner Forest entered the Death's Door en route from Chicago to Nahma, Michigan. A gale struck and drove the ship onto the reef at Pilot Island...
Pilot Island Site Buoy The Pilot Island shipwrecks rest in 20-50 feet of water where the remains of three shipwrecks, J.E. Gilmore, A.P. Nichols, and Forest can be investigated. A popular shipwreck for new divers, as well as snorkelers and kayakers, the Pilot Island wrecks can often be seen from the surface. The site ...
Plum Island Range Lights The original Plum Island Lighthouse was built in 1848 but was moved to Pilot Island some years later. The Plum Island range lights were constructed in 1896 and first lit the following year. The lights are located on the southern end of the island, the Front Light to the east, the Rear Range Light...
Point Beach State Forest The Point Beach State Forest includes 2,900 acres of forest land, bordered on the east by some six miles of sand-ridged beach on Lake Michigan. Lying just north of the City of Two Rivers, the forest offers all of the natural beauty and assets of the wilderness with the convenience of urban facili...
Port Washington Fishermens' Memorial Located next to Port Washington's marina and with a stunning view of the harbor and Port Washington Pierhead Light, the Port Washington Fishermens' Memorial honors those who have lost their lives in the local commercial fishing industry, as well as providing local maritime history. The memorial i...
Port Washington Light Station This beautiful old light station is in the process of being restored by the Port Washington Historical Society. Although not an active aid to navigation, a wonderfully reconstructed lantern room was placed on the structure in 2002. The light station is also a museum and houses many marine artifac...
Port Washington Pierhead Light This unique pierhead light was built in 1935 to light one of the most notoriously dangerous harbors on the Great Lakes. The concrete arches that make up the base of the lighthouse allow high seas to pass through the bottom without damaging the art deco steel plated lighthouse above. The light is ...
Port Wing Heritage Hall Newly constructed in 2001, the Port Wing Heritage Hall is a local history resource center, as well as the home of the Port Wing library. The museum features exhibits on the area's history, mainly focusing on the local lumbering and commercial fishing industries. Photographic displays of local fis...
Portage Canal Locks to the Wisconsin River Canal lock on Wisconsin River end of the Portage Canal. Not currently connected to the Wisconsin River as there is a large levee in between the canal and the Wisconsin River. Great view of the Wisconsin River.
Potawatomi Lighthouse The original Potawatomi Light, built in 1836, was the first lighthouse in Wisconsin and the first on Lake Michigan. The lighthouse seen today was built in 1858 and has been beautifully restored. The lighthouse is in Rock Island State Park at the very tip of the Door County Peninsula. Rock Island ...
Potawatomi State Park Potawatomie State Park, south of Sturgeon Bay, has gently rolling upland terrain, bordered by steep slopes and rugged limestone cliffs along the Green Bay shoreline. Potawatomi offers a 75-foot observation tower, camping, boating, fishing, picnicking, hiking, on and off road bicycling, skiing and...
Potosi Brewery The National Brewery Museum and Library is located on the site of the Potosi Brewery. The museum features historic beer and brewing memorabilia, including signs, advertisements, bottles, cans, and miscellaneous paraphernalia. Includes historic images of the riverboat Potosi and a description of i...
Potosi Station Historic river landing for the town of Potosi. A warehouse once stood at this spot. Today, it is used as a local fishing spot and boat landing, and provides a scenic view of the Mississippi River.
Potters Emigration Society Near here in 1849 Thomas Twiggs began a settlement of unemployed potters from Staffordshire, England. To help farmers on both sides of the Fox River reach his store and blacksmith shop at Twiggs' Landing, he operated Emancipation Ferry, named to express his hope that here they would find freedom ...
Prairie du Chien Museum at Fort Crawford Fort Crawford Museum is operated by the non-profit Prairie du Chien Historical Society. The museum boasts more than 50 exhibits in 3 buildings, which reflect the historical society's mission to tell the story of Prairie du Chien with emphasis on Fort Crawford, especially the amazing story of Dr. ...
Prescott Historical Society Museum Local historical society museum and chamber of commerce. Riverboat exhibits within the museum. In the old H. S. Miller bank building the arched windows were brought in an steamboat when the building was constructed and the building is currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Pretoria Buoy Lying in about 55 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat. Pretoria is a popular shipwreck for beginner divers, and the lower hull of which remains mostly intact. The site is marked with a seasonal Wisconsin Historical Society shipwreck mooring buoy, allowing boats to tie u...
Prins Willem V Buoy Lying in about 85 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat. Prins Willem V is a popular shipwreck for intermediate divers, and remains entirely intact, with opportunities for some hull penetration. The site is marked with a seasonal Wisconsin Historical Society shipwreck moo...
Racine Heritage Museum The Racine Heritage Museum offers three floors of entertaining and interesting exhibits celebrating the rich heritage of this unique community. Here the stories are told of Racine's people and their products including Hamilton-Beach, SC Johnson, Modine, Twin Disc, Case, Horlick's Malted Milk, Rac...
Racine North Breakwater Light One of the few remaining lights of its kind on the Great Lakes, the Racine North Breakwater Light is perched atop the Racine concrete and boulder breakwater. Built in 1910, the old red lighthouse is no longer an active aid to navigation but is illuminated at night. Although this light is not open...
Racine Reef Light The current modern light stands atop the concrete base that supported the Victorian-style lighthouse that stood here from 1905 until 1961 when it was dismantled (click on the historic photo -above right - for a full-sized image of the lighthouse). The current light is an active aid to navigation ...
Rafting on the Mississippi Historic Marker After 1837 the vast timber resources of northern Wisconsin were eagerly sought by settlers moving into the mid-Mississippi valley. By 1847 there were more than thirty saw-mills on the Wisconsin, Chippewa, and St. Croix river systems, cutting largely Wisconsin white pine. During long winter months...
Rapide Croche Lock and Dam The Lower Fox River lock and dam system was constructed between 1850 and 1860. The lock system is currently being reconstructed their original, hand-operated, nineteenth-century operational state. Check the Friends of the Fox website for the current status of each lock and their schedules. Best v...
Raspberry Island Lighthouse The Raspberry Island lighthouse was built in 1863 on the southwest side of Raspberry Island in Lake Superior's Apostle Islands. The lighthouse is open seasonally, with guided tours available. The lighthouse keeper's residence has period furnishings and historic artifacts. The island is accessible...
Rawley Point Lighthouse About five miles north of the city of Two Rivers, Rawley Point has seen its share of shipwrecks, even though it boasts the second tallest lighthouse in Wisconsin. The treacherous shoals around the point have long been a danger to Great Lakes vessels. Although a lighthouse has stood at this locati...
Reynolds' Pier Maritime Trails Marker During the heyday of Wisconsin's lumber industry, Jacksonport's business and community life centered around three large piers. Each pier had its own general store and lumber mill. Wooden schooners, called 'lumber hookers,' often crowded the piers to load cordwood, shingles, and posts bound for th...
River Bluffs History Center Local history museum located within an old church.
Rock Island State Park Take the ferry (Memorial Day weekend through Columbus Day) to this primitive island off the tip of the Door County peninsula in Lake Michigan. Stone buildings, built by a wealthy inventor who owned the island between 1910 and 1945, house exhibits. Cars and even bikes are not allowed on the 912-ac...
Rogers Street Fishing Village Rogers Street Fishing Village is a museum village and heritage park located on the banks of the East Twin River, the traditional headquarters of the Two Rivers' commercial fishing fleet. They have four historic buildings that contain exciting exhibits on America's most dangerous profession--comme...
Rouse Simmons Maritime Trails Marker About 12 miles northeast of Two Rivers, 165 feet below the waves, lies one of the most celebrated shipwrecks in Lake Michigan. The three-masted Rouse Simmons spent her career like many lumber schooners of her day, hauling forest products from isolated towns along Lake Michigan to the hungry marke...
S.C.Baldwin Buoy Lying in about 60 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat. S.C. Baldwin is a popular shipwreck for intermediate divers, and is largely broken, though many artifacts and implements make this an interesting dive. The site is marked with a seasonal Wisconsin Historical Society...
S.S. Meteor Designed by Captain Alexander McDougall and launched in Superior, the 336-foot Meteor is the only remaining whaleback steamer. Built as the bulk propeller Frank Rockefeller in 1896, the name was changed to South Park in 1927 and to Meteor in 1943 when it was converted to a tanker. The ship became...
Sand Island Lighthouse The Sand Island lighthouse, located in the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, sits on the western most major island. The light was first lit in 1881 and continues to be an active aid to navigation. This lighthouse is unique in that it is the only one in the Apostle Island built of brownstone. Th...
Sea Wing Memorial Park Park on the river with a memorial to the Sea Wing riverboat disaster. Historic marker reads: 'Home port here it capsized in Lake Pepin killing 98 of the 215 people aboard 22 of them from WI. The disaster ranks as one of Wisconsins worst transportation disasters. Occurred on 13 July 1890 ranks amo...
Selah Chamberlain Buoy Lying in about 85 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat. Selah Chamberlain is a popular shipwreck for intermediate divers. The site is marked with a seasonal Wisconsin Historical Society shipwreck mooring buoy, allowing boats to tie up directly above the site while protec...
Sevona Buoy Lying in about 25 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat. Sevona is a popular shipwreck for beginner divers. The site is marked with a seasonal Wisconsin Historical Society shipwreck mooring buoy, allowing boats to tie up directly above the site while protecting the shipwr...
Sevona Maritime Trails Marker About 4 miles from here lies the wreck of the Sevona, one of the largest carriers on the Great Lakes when it was launched in 1890. She was originally named the Emily P. Weed. When the Sevona departed Superior's Allouez ore docks on the evening of September 1, 1905, the skies showed no sign of an ...
Sheboygan Breakwater Lighthouse This present pierhead light was built in 1915, although Sheboygan has been served by a lighthouse since 1839. The skeletal steel pierhead tower was topped with a circular parapet and lantern room; however, the lantern room has been removed and only the tower remains. The tower still is an active ...
Sherwood Point Lighthouse The Sherwood Point Lighthouse sits on the south shore of the western end of Sturgeon Bay overlooking the entrance to Green Bay. Sherwood Point is a unique Door County light. It is the lone lighthouse in the county constructed of red brick and resembles an old red schoolhouse. The original light w...
Site of Fort Antoine Historic Marker Nicholas Perrot was a daring adventurer, fur trader, and able diplomat. The hand-some Frenchman built Fort St. Antoine on the shore of Lake Pepin near here in 1686. Alarmed by the aggressions of the English, the French government felt it was necessary to repeat their claims with sufficient pomp a...
Site of Red Bird's Village Historic Marker First Battle of the Bad Ax was fought opposite, between 37 Winnebagos, on Minnesota and Wisconsin islands, and crew of keel boat O.H. Perry grounded on sandbar. Fatalities: 4 whites, 7 Indians. The same day Red Bird killed Lip Cap and Gagnier at Prairie du Chein. He died in prison there.
Smith Brothers Fish Net House The Smith Brothers Fish Net House, built between 1922 and 1938, was used as a net storage and workshop facility for their commercial fishing operations. The house is the last remaining intact historic building associated with the commercial fishing heritage of Port Washington, after the demolitio...
Solon Springs Historical Museum Features the history of the local timber industries, railroads, and water bottling company for which the town was named.
Soo Line Ore Dock Construction of the Ore Dock began in 1916. Originally constructed at 900 feet in length, a 1,925 addition brought the dock to its present length of 1,800 feet. At 80 feet high by 59 feet wide, it is the largest concrete structure of its kind. Iron-ore mined in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan was...
Spirit of the Northwest Statue Statue located in front of the Brown County courthouse of Claude Allouez, Nicholas Perrot, and member of the Meskwaki Nation, commemorating exploration into the northwest, beginning in the Green Bay region in 1668.
St. Croix Falls Park and Dam Park that overlooks the hydroelectric dam on the St Croix River. Has a bronze plaque on a rock, a bronze statute, and a mill stone on display.
St. Croix National Scenic Riverway Visitor Center and Park Headquarters Some of the Riverway's history is documented and interpreted in visitor center exhibits and programming.
St. John Mine St. John Mine, originally a natural cave, was worked by Native Americans before Wisconsin's 1827 'Lead Rush.' Willis St. John, first Non-American to work the mine which now bears his name, made a small fortune here between 1828 and 1848. Learn how miners toiled 12-hour days, marvel at stalactites...
Statue of James Marquette This statue, located in the Wisconsin welcome center where Highway 18 enters Wisconsin, commemorates the voyage of Marquette and Jolliet into the Mississippi to map the northern section of the river. From Green Bay, Marquette and Jolliet traveled down the Fox River, nearly to its headwaters, and ...
Stockholm Institute and Old Post Office Museum Small museum on river culture located in the old post office.
Stockholm Village Park City park with camping and a 700 foot stone pier that extends into the river.
Stockton Island Brownstone Quarry Dock Quarrying operations took place on Stockton Island, or Presque Isle, in 1871, and then again from 1886 until the fall of the brownstone industry in 1897. The Ashland Brownstone Company operated the main quarry on the island from the spring of 1886 through the end of 1897. The remains of the quarr...
Sturgeon Bay Canal Constructed between 1872 and 1879, the Sturgeon Bay ship canal allowed vessels to cut through the Door peninsula instead of using the dangerous Deaths Door passage at the tip of the county. The lighthouse at the eastern end of the canal is an active aid to navigation and part of a busy U.S. Coast...
Sturgeon Bay North Pier Lighthouse Constructed between 1872 and 1879, the Sturgeon Bay ship canal allowed vessels to cut through the Door peninsula instead of using the dangerous Deaths Door passage at the tip of the county. The lighthouse at the eastern end of the canal is an active aid ...
Swarthout Museum Part of the LaCrosse Historical Society  changing exhibits on the history of LaCrosse, emphasizing river life, industry, and commerce.
Toledo Anchor Memorial On October 22, 1856, the Toledo, a steam screw carrying freight, merchandise and passengers, foundered and sank near Port Washington. Over 40 lives were lost. In 1900, her anchor was recovered from the waters of Lake Michigan, and a memorial was created in Port Washington's Union Cemetery to the ...
Tug Islay The tug Islay was built by Alexander McDougall and named for his daughter, who was named for McDougall's birthplace in Scotland. Islay was part of the first triple launching on the Great Lakes, including the Whalebacks Pillsbury and Washburn. Powered by a 1-cylinder, 125 HP steam engine and owned...
Tug Ludington The tug is open seasonally for tours. Please call the above number for more information. The former US Corps of Engineers tug Ludington was built by Jacobson Shipyard at Oyster Bay, New York, in 1943. Originally named Major Wilbur R. Browder (LT-4), the 114-foot tug towed ammunition barges across...
Two Rivers North Pierhead Light The Two Rivers North Pierhead Light has been moved from its original location to the Rogers Street Fishing Village Museum where it can be toured as part of regular museum admission. First used in 1886, the red wooden structure was retired in 1969 and donated to the city's historical society. Roge...
Upper Fox River Historic Marker On these banks of the Upper Fox River June 7, 1673, explorers Marquette and Jolliet visited the Mascoutin Indian Tribe that lived here. For many years traders and missionaries camped here while visiting the Indians. In 1846 Nathan Strong, a Fourierite, was commissioned by the Federal Government t...
Vernon Maritime Trails Marker From the moment she was launched, onlookers predicted bad luck for the elegant packet steamer Vernon. She was fast and beautifully adorned, but a math error by her designer left her top-heavy and unstable. Built for the Booth Fish Company of Chicago, the vessel regularly carried passengers and ca...
Villa Louis Villa Louis has connections to fur trade through the Dousman family, who sent furs up the Wisconsin/Fox waterway to the Great Lakes. Mr. Dousman was also an owner of Mississppi riverboats, and was partial owner of the sidewheel riverboat War Eagle.
Voyager Park Voyager Park has a good view of the DePere lock, as well as two historic markers within the park grounds.
Vulcan Heritage Park Parking area and park along the river with a great view of the dam and a nice river walk on the south side of the river with interpretive signage.
Vulcan Street Power Plant The first Edison hydroelectric central station to serve a system of private and commercial customers in North America that began operation on September 30, 1882. The story of its development provides keen insight into the nation's first experiences with the electric light. The present site is an ...
War Eagle Maritime Trails Marker Just up the Black River from this point lie the remains of the sidewheel riverboat War Eagle. Built in Fulton, Ohio, in 1854, she boasted 46 staterooms, fine velvet carpets, luxurious furniture, and onboard barbershops. During the Civil War, the War Eagle transported troops and supplies. Her only...
War Eagle Mural Mural of riverboat War Eagle on the side a building.
Washburn Historic Waterfront Maritime Trails Markers Washburn's waterfront walking trail runs from Thompson West End Park to Washburn Marina. Once a bustling industrial waterfront, Washburn's Lake Superior coastline today offers visitors beautiful vistas of the Lake and the natural surroundings of Chequamegon Bay. Hints of the town's rich maritime ...
Washburn Historical Museum The 1890's Brownstone building that houses the Historical Museum is a beautiful museum piece in its own right. The historic venue also contains the city's Cultural Arts Center. The museum features local history, including a wonderful collection of the area's maritime history. This collection incl...
Washburn Waterfront Walking Trail Washburn's waterfront walking trail runs from Thompson West End Park to Washburn Marina. Once a bustling industrial waterfront, Washburn's Lake Superior coastline today offers visitors beautiful vistas of the Lake and the natural surroundings of Chequamegon Bay. Hints of the town's rich maritime ...
Washington Island Ferry A few miles off the tip of the Door County peninsula lies Washington Island. A friendly year-round home to 700 people, the island is also an enchanting destination for thousands of visitors each year. The Washington Island Ferry Line is the vital transportation link across storied Death's Door pa...
Whitefish Dunes State Park The 6,600-foot beach at Whitefish Dunes is considered by many to be the best in Wisconsin. This Door County park also offers rugged Lake Michigan shoreline and huge protected sand dunes. In winter, it showcases beautiful ice formations with frigid Lake Michigan waves in the background. An observa...
Wilke Memorial Park Osceola Falls a lumber mill as first established in 1855 and a flour mill in 1854. Became a stop for excusion boats on the St. Croix River during the 1880s. Historic marker reads: 'First settled by William Kent in 1844 when he came looking for lumber for ship masts. Built a lumber mill powered by...
Wind Point Lighthouse The 112 foot tower of the Wind Point Lighthouse was erected in 1880 five miles north of Racine. The light remains an active aid to navigation and is reputed to be the tallest operating light on the Great Lakes. Today, the lighthouse buildings serve as municipal offices for the village of Wind Poi...
Winona Trail Old Military Road Stone monument that marks the end of the trail on which Marquette and Joliet entered the Wisconsin River on June 14, 1673.
Wisconsin Buoy Lying in about 130 feet of water, the shipwreck site is easily accessible by boat. Wisconsin is a popular shipwreck for advanced divers, and remains mostly intact with a cargo of cars still on board. The site is marked with a seasonal Wisconsin Historical Society shipwreck mooring buoy, allowing ...
Wisconsin Maritime Museum The Wisconsin Maritime Museum is a 60,000-square-foot facility whose collection includes the U.S.S. Cobia, a World War II submarine of the same type as the 28 submarines built in Manitowoc during World War II. In addition to an extensive collection of exhibits and displays on Wisconsin's maritime...
Wisconsin Point Light (Superior Entry) Built in 1913, this Douglas County lighthouse is unique in that its base is oval in shape, while the concrete light tower is round. The structure is supported by a foundation secured in the lake bottom. Positioned at the west pierhead entrance to Superior Harbor at the western end of Wisconsin Po...
Wyalusing State Park State park at the confluence of the Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers. Two explorers, Marquette and Jolliet, mapped the connection between the Great Lakes and the Mississippi and made the connection on June 17, 1673.
© 2017 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society