was built in 1872 by Alvin A. Turner of Trenton, Michigan as a schooner barge for the lumber and coal trades...From 1895 to 1905 the steam barge Lizzie Madden
towed the Noquebay
in consort with several other schooner barges. Regular trips were made between Duluth or Ashland and Buffalo, New York; major lumber producing and distribution centers."
Last Document Surrendered Huron, 12/28/1905: "Total Loss-Burned"
departed from Bayfield on Sunday morning October 6, 1905 with Noquebay
and her sistership Mautenee
in tow. Noquebay
was loaded with 600,000 board feet of hemlock lumber bound for Buffalo. About 20 miles NE of Bayfield, a fire broke out in the forward part of the ship near the donkey boiler. Donkey engines were used to hoist anchors and sails, work the pumps, and to move cargo. The fire started while the crew was eating lunch in the after deckhouse and was not discovered until it was uncontrollable.
headed for Stockton Island and beached Noquebay
in the shallow waters of Julian Bay. The crew was able to heave about a third of the cargo overboard before abandoning the ship. The lumber and Noquebay's
anchors were salvaged, but the ship burned to the waterline."
remains consist of five major components: ship's wheel, bottom of the hull, port side, starboard side, and bow. The wreckage field lies in 10-15 feet of water, trends in a north/south direction for about 230 feet, and is 125 feet wide. Areas of the Noquebay
are variably exposed or buried in deep sand. Four major pieces of machinery: a donkey boiler, pieces of windlass, the ship's wheel, and rudder are usually visible at the site. A large number of smaller artifacts are also present."