Alfred Mosher (1863)
Scroll Down
By The Numbers
Lives Lost
Depth (ft)
Service History

The tug Alfred Mosher was built in 1863 by Miller Brothers & Clark shipbuilders at Chicago, Illinois. Her official registry number was 1395, she was rated B1 , and valued at $6,500 in 1874 by the Board of Lake Underwriters The vessel was chartered to Captain P. Peterson of Menominee during its last voyage. He was using her for towing rafts while his tug was receiving a new boiler.

Last Document of Enrollment Surrendered: 5/20/1897; Milwaukee: "Total Loss".
Final Voyage

The Alfred Mosher caught fire while tied up at Cromell's dock, Sturgeon Bay, in the old mill slip. The Mosher was moved from Cromell's dock to the east side of the slip by the tug Nelson, after which she was sprayed with water until she filled and sank. No attempt was made raise the hull, but the boiler and engine were reported to be in good condition and salvageable.
In August 1912, the boiler was recovered by Captain Thomas Isabell and was to be put into the City of New Baltimore.

"In 1933 the Weber Dredging Company was dredging at the Peterson Boat Works when it dragged up part of the stern of the Mosher. The machinery was still in the hull and was removed. The remaining hull was left to sink back into the mud." Wild Gales and Tattered Sails, Paul J. Creviere, Jr.
Confirmed Location     Unconfirmed location
© 2024 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society