was a freight and passenger carrier. The vessel was originally built as the J.F. Yattaw
in 1892 by the Roe Brothers in Chicago for the Chicago Harbor Yacht Club.
September 1894: Rebuilt at Grand Haven as a 2 deck ferry.
April 1896: Rebuilt in Sandusky with one deck and no masts.
March 1897: Renamed Ogontz
February 1919: Rebuilt at Harbor Springs, Michigan. 2 decks, electric lights, 16" X 18", 75 horsepower non condensing high pressure steam engine by C. Elms and one scotch boiler 7' x 10'@120psi by John Mohr & Sons
June 1919: Name changed to Bruce
July 1927: Name changed to Madeline
1930: Ran Duluth to Knife River, Two Harbors, Apostle Islands and Port Wing.
No specific date of casualty; Madeline
was dropped from the US Vessel Registry in 1941 and was listed at least as late as 1938 (1939 and 1940 editions are unavailable); Holden lists her as abandoned in either 1939 or 1940.
James Keller in the "Unholy Apostles" states that the Madeline
had a"busy career ended when she was abandoned in shallow water just east of the Soo Line ore dock, very close to the Hazel
C. Pat Labadie states that the Madeline
was laid up in 1932 at Hancock, Michigan and in 1940 was dismantled and sunk in shallow water.