Oshkosh (1857)
Scroll Down
By The Numbers
Lives Lost
Depth (ft)
Service History

"The sidewheel tub R.C. Evans was built at Berlin in 1857 by Captain R. C. Evan of the United States Navy. She was eighty feet long, eighteen feet beam, one boiler, two engines 8 x 20 and geared 3 1/2 to 1. She was sold to Rich & Company. of Horicon, in 1859, who placed upper works and a cabin on her and she came out as a passenger boat under the name Shawano City. In 1863, she was sold to Abel Neff and Capt. Hank Johnson. They converted her into a growser tug, renamed her the Oshkosh, and she continued in commission towing logs until 1871. She was then dismantled at Winneconne and her hull burned at that port." History of Winnebago County, Lawson 1908.
Final Voyage

The Oshkosh was apparently dismantled at Winneconne in, or shortly after late fall of 1871, and burned at Winneconne.
© 2024 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society