Paul L. (1907)
Scroll Down
By The Numbers
0
Built
0
Sank
0
Lives Lost
0
Depth (ft)
 
 
Service History

The Paul L. was built in 1907 for the Oshkosh-Tustin run. She was a three story stern wheeler with a wood hull designed to carry package freight and passengers on the Fox River. Often she would carry logs or coal and during the summers she may be used to take passengers on excursions. She would be hired by entities such as a church or a society to go on day trips. She typically had a crew of seven. Her official registry number was 204023.

May 28, 1910: the Paul L. was being unloaded of a deck load of coal when too much was removed from the starboard side and the vessel rolled over tossing the mate and the cook into the Fox River.. She was righted, refurbished and ran for another 12 to 14 years.

In 1922 she was stripped of machinery and her upper decks were razed and she was used as a barge to haul coal and lumber During her final years she was used as a construction barge.
Final Voyage

The Paul L. was abandoned 1923-1924 in the Fox River near the Lawe Street bridge in Appleton.
Today

The bow of the Paul L. was found by divers in the Fox River at Appleton. The remains of the Paul L. are near the Lawe Street Bridge, she lies forty feet off shore in 5' of water, stern 70' out in 7' of water.

Part of her frame is intact and is heeled over, but the deck is gone and there are timbers protruding from the interior.
 
Nearby
© 2020 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society