S.L. Noble (1846)
Scroll Down
By The Numbers
0
Built
0
Sank
0
Lives Lost
0
Depth (ft)
 
 
Service History

The wooden two masted schooner S.L. Noble was built in 1846 By Erastus Lockwood at Fairport, Ohio. Her official registry number was 23103 and at the time of her loss was rated either B2 or C1 and valued at about $3,000.

The S.L. Noble was lengthened and rebuilt in 1852. In 1862 she received large repairs and was readmeasured in 1865 at 88.4 gross tons.
Final Voyage

"The schooner S.L. Noble was wrecked at T.F. Gillilland's pier, town of Clay Banks, on Monday, the 16th inst. She had taken a load of cord wood, when a heavy gale from the south east came up and prevented her from leaving, causing her to pound heavy on the bottom of the Lake in the shallow water at the pier as to cause the destruction of her bottom before the subsidence of the blow." DCA November 26, 1868.

"Gone to pieces - Mr. C.L. Fellous writes from Ahnapee, November 18 that the schooner S.L. Noble of Racine has gone to pieces at Clay banks pier seven miles north of that place." Milwaukee Sentinel 11/20/1868
Today

"This 88 ton scow schooner pounded to pieces while moored at Gilliland's Pier at Clay banks during a southeast gale. This dock eventually became known as the Hitt & Davidson Pier, (also later called the Clay Banks Pier), so the remains of this vessel are probably commingled with others off the mouth of Bear Creek."
 
Nearby
© 2020 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society