The tug Bob Teed
, built in 1883, was registered as having a wood hull but she was actually a composite hull consisting of iron framing (ribs) with wood planking.
In 1914, the Bob tweed
was entirely reconstructed of steel at the plant of Nartman-Greiling Company in Green Bay.
She was used for general towing up and down Lake Michigan before being purchased in 1941 by Waterways Engineering Corporation of Green Bay.
October 1947, The Bob Teed
was sixty-four years old and her steam engine was ancient. The old tug was stripped of her boiler and engine and she was abandoned in her slip at the Waterways Engineering dock(owner of the tug since 1930) where she settled to the bottom of the Fox River. Later. The Bob Teed
Soundings obtained for the Great Lakes Survey in 1958 found 13 feet over the deepest part of the wreck, however, the river bottom has since filled in around the wreck. During low water the remains of the wreck could be seen in the Fox River just north of the Fort James Corporation in Green Bay.
A significant problem came to light. PCBs were detected in the mud on the bottom of the Fox River and in the wreckage of the ships and piers which presented a significant health and environment hazard. Green Bay area paper companies were required under federal orders to remove the contamination. Starting in April of 2009 a 13 mile stretch was dredged and capped with sand and gravel. The five wrecks needed to be removed to complete the project. The wrecks were hauled to a landfill south of Green Bay. The removal of the wrecks, which took place between late 2013 and early 2014, was extensively photographed and documented. The ship's legacy was made public through an agreement with the State Historic Preservation Office, the DNR and the Neville Public Museum. A selection of the hundreds of photos taken of the process are on display at the Neville Museum.