Charlotte (1912)
Google Earth Image of the wreck of the Tug Charlotte in Pike's Bay Marina prior to Removal. Center jsut to the left of the left most pier.
By The Numbers
Lives Lost
Depth (ft)
Service History

The wooden tug Charlotte was originally designed as a tow tug but later converted to a fishing tug and finally a working tug.

1924 Owned by Valley Sand Company, Bay City, Michigan. Home port: Port Huron, Michigan.

1937 Owned by Bayfield Fish Company. Home port Duluth, Minnesota. Horsepower 110, crew of four.

1939 Sold to George Fulton.

1941 Fulton Construction Company, Superior, Wisconsin. Converted to gas and horsepower increased to 150. Depth of hold was decreased by 1 foot to 5.6 feet and tonnage increased to 43 tons.

1943 Owner Northern Hardwood Veeneers, Superior, Wisconsin, Converted to diesel fuel.
Final Voyage

The remains of the tug Charlotte ended up in shallow water in Chequamegon Bay, southwest from Port Superior in Lake Superior. The remains are just south of the Port Superior marina. According to James M. Keller, The "Unholy" Apostles, "The fishing tug Charlotte was dragged to her final resting place in 1943.". The listing for the Charlotte was dropped from the Merchant Vessels Of The United States in 1944 as being abandoned.

"Vessel (Charlotte) is badly broken up, lying in 3-6' water, and is largely sand covered; much of the hull is flattened, with the sides dis-articulated from the keel; there is no machinery present; remains consist of the bilge, sides, and bow - about 50% of the original vessel" from Archeological Site Inventory Form.

"She can be seen from shore partially sticking out of the water" Pikes Bay (Port Superior), Lake Superior. From The "Unholy" Apostles" James M. Keller
Confirmed Location     Unconfirmed location
© 2024 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society