Pewaukee (1873)
Gallery
img
Schooner Two Friends (1873) at Sturgeon Bay. Source: Eric Bonow
img
Schooner Two Friends (1873) Abandoned at Sturgeon Bay. Source: Eric Bonow Collection.
By The Numbers
0
Built
0
Sank
0
Lives Lost
0
Depth (ft)
 
 
Service History

The Pewaukee, a one masted wooden barge, was originally built in 1873 as the wooden three masted Canadian schooner Two Friends with the Canadian registry number 71279. On August 25,1881 she was converted to a steamer and renamed the Pewaukee with the US registry number 150233. On October 7, 1887 the Pewaukee went ashore on Detroit Island reef near Washington Island and her enrollment was surrendered on November 4, 1887, listed as "vessel abandoned to underwriters as total loss". Then in 1888 C.H. Bigelow became the owner and Leathem and Smith installed a tug engine and boiler in her. In 1889 her rigging was changed from a schooner to a steambarge and five years later converted to an unrigged towbarge. Then finally, in 1905 her engines were removed and she was rebuilt as a one masted tow barge.

Last document of Enrollment: Surrendered: Milwaukee: 11/10/1913:"Abandoned".
Final Voyage

The Pewaukee had been left in the mud between the Leathem & Smith property and the shipyard at the end of Liberty Street. In October of 1913 the old barge was pumped out so she could be moved and used as a breakwater for the Leathem & Smith stone quarry at the mouth of Green bay. The barge had no machinery and was filled with stone prior to sinking.
 
Map
Confirmed Location     Unconfirmed location
 
Nearby
© 2019 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society