was built as a three masted barkentine in May of 1862. She was built by Peck and Masters at Cleveland, Ohio. The Northwest
was listed as a schooner in 1874 thru 1876. Her official registry number was 18102 and she was valued at $19,000 at the time of loss in October of 1876 and was rated at A2 in 1871.
August 1865: Grounded at Cheboygan Point, Straits of Mckinaw.
September 1866: Grounded at Peach Island, Lake St. Clair.
August 1870:Collided with the barque P.C. Sherman
on Lake Erie.
July 1871: Collided with the schooner Fame
, Straits of Mackinac.
October 1871: Collided with the schooner Hackley
on Lake Erie.
November 1872 Aground during snowstorm at Port Hope, Lake Huron.
1873 Repaired and converted to a schooner.
September 1874: Leaking.
October 24, 1876: Sank in Lake Michigan off Kenosha.
Last Document of Enrollment: Surrendered: Chicago: 12/30/1876: "Total Loss".
was a three wooden barkentine of 458 gross tons built in May of 1862 by Peck and Masters at Cleveland, Ohio and was enrolled as 18102. She was converted to a schooner in 1873. The vessel was lost in a collision off Kenosha on October 25, 1876. The Milwaukee Sentinel carried the following account:
"The fine old schooner Northwest
, Captain George Nedlam commanding, downward bound from Chicago, with a cargo of grain, was run into twelve miles off Kenosha, at four o'clock Tuesday morning, by the coal-laden schooner F.L. Danforth
, and sank within fifteen minutes after collision, only the tops of her spars remaining in view. The crew of the Northwest
escaped to the Danforth
--which vessel lost her bobstays, cutwater, a portion of her stem, jibboom, main-topmast and squaresail yard in the onset...From the statement of Capt. Nedlam, it seems that the night was clear and the lights of the Danforth
were seen by the Northwest
half an hour before the vessels came together. The wind at the time was northwest, and his was close-hauled and by the wind, heading north-northeast. The Danforth
came stem on, and striking the Northwest
on the port bow, cut into her hull almost to the foremast. The cargo of the lost vessel, about 29,000 bushels of corn was owned and shipped by W.T.Baker & Co. and was consigned to William Meadows of Buffalo and consigned to William Meadows of Buffalo. It is insured as follows: Traders, $5,000; Orient, $5,000; Pacific Mutual, $4,500. The vessel was owned by the Hon. Wiley M. Egan of Chicago. She measures 458 tons and was built by Peck and Masters at Cleveland in 1862 receiving large repairs in 1873. Her value was $19,000..."
was never salvaged. It was reported that she was 12 miles off Kenosha with her spars sticking above water, but the water there is too deep for her spars to be exposed. She has not been discovered yet, but will probably be intact once she is found.