Cheerio (1935)
Scroll Down
By The Numbers
Lives Lost
Depth (ft)
Service History

The steel hulled fishing tug Cheerio was built in 1935 by the Sturgeon Bay Shippbuilding Company for a cost of $8,000. She had lap-seam plating welded inside and out. The Cheerio could carry up to 200 gallons of diesel oil for her engine.
Final Voyage

From the Wisconsin Historical Society Maritime Preservation and Archaeology Files: "Last sighted 7:30 p.m., 01/17/1936, attempting to make Kenosha harbor during 40 mph NE gale and blowing snow. Wreck found January 20 east of the breakwater in ten feet of water, crew washed ashore following March and April. Tug apparently foundered after colliding with harbor breakwater and/or ice."

The hull was dragged into the harbor (1938 or 1939) and raised and then rebuilt. She returned to fishing on Lake Michigan. What remains on the bottom is unknown.
© 2024 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society