Oliver Culver (1855)
Scroll Down
By The Numbers
Lives Lost
Depth (ft)
Service History

The wooden three masted schooner Oliver Culver was originally built as a bark by David Rogers at Charlotte, New York in 1855. She was built as the largest class that could pass thru the Welland Canal. Her official registry number was 18891. In 1874 the vessel was valued at $9,000 and rated B1 by the Board of Lake Underwriters.

1866: Large repairs

1872: Repaired.

Last Document of Enrollment:Surrendered: Chicago: 12/30/1882: "Vessel Lost".
Final Voyage

"The schooner Oliver Culver, loaded with lumber from Pensaukee to Chicago, sprung a leak while working in the heavy seas off Two Rivers last Sunday night (12/04/1882), and was run ashore by Capt. Edwards to save the crew. She struck the beach just a few yards north of the harbor piers at about midnight. The men were taken off by the life-saving crew at Two Rivers. The was an old tuband her loss has only been a question of time. She was built in 1855, and is owned by a Chicago party." Door County Advocate 12/07/1882

"The Oliver Culver is going to pieces fast. Her spars were still standing but badly twisted. No attempt will be made to get her off. The lumber is being picked up and saved as far as possible." Door County Advocate 12/14/1882

"It was 3 o'clock in the morning (December 4) when the life-saving crew arrived abreast of the stranded schooner, which lay two hundred yards out from the beach... She became a total wreck, but the captain succeeded in saving a little more than one-half of the cargo." USLSS 1883
Confirmed Location     Unconfirmed location
© 2024 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society