Mary L. (1895)
Scroll Down
By The Numbers
Lives Lost
Depth (ft)
Service History

The wooden two masted scow-schooner Mary was built in White Lake, Michigan in 1895. Her offical registry number was 92661.

December 5,1908. The small schooner Mary L., owned and sailed by Captain Chris Braunsdorf, lies on the bottom in the mud at the head of the bay on the west side of the canal at Sturgeon bay. The vessel had been damaged by ice and the captain and his son were rescued by the gasoline schooner Belle (one source says the launch Ariadne) which towed the Mary L to the life saving station were she was pumped out and then left in the mud on the west side of Sturgeon Bay between the city and the south end of the canal. At the time " Captain Braunsdorf thought the ice had pushed out some of the oakum." Door County Advocate, December 24, 1903

Last Document of Enrollment Surrendered: 3/6/1911: Vessel Lost.
Final Voyage

"The scow-schooner Mary L, was totally destroyed by fire in this bay (Sturgeon Bay), half way between the city and south end of the canal, not having been placed in commission this season. Some boys who occupied the abandoned craft as a rendezvous no doubt set fire to the craft accidentally or for the excitement of the thing." Door County Advocate August 04, 1910

"Capt. Chris. Braunsdorf is figuring on rebuilding the burned schooner Mary L . It is the opinion of those who examined the hulk, however, that this would be a difficult and expensive undertaking." Door County Advocate August 25, 1910.
Confirmed Location     Unconfirmed location
© 2024 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society