Tornado (1872)
Scroll Down
By The Numbers
Lives Lost
Depth (ft)
Service History

"The Tornado was built at Red River in the winter of 1871-1872 by Scofield & Co. Her boiler was built by Burns of Fort Howard and the engine was constructed by Thomas H. Smith of the firm of Leathem & Smith. She had been employed in rafting and towing ever since she came out and has been one of the most profitable boats ever owned by the firm having been steadily in commission for about fourteen years." Last Document Surrendered Milwaukee 9/30/1886: "Burned"
Final Voyage

"The tug Tornado, owned by Leathem & Smith, was destroyed by fire while lying at the wharf at Red River on Saturday night. When the fire was discovered, between 11 and 12 o'clock, it had made such headway that nothing could be done toward checking it, and August Gennelsse, the engineer, who was sleeping on board had a pretty hot time of it in making his escape from the burning craft, some parts of his body were badly burned. The fire no doubt originated from the boiler, and as there was a large amount of slabs stowed in the hold it spread rapidly after getting into them." "Leathem & Smith have purchased the boiler and engine of the tug Tornado from the underwriters....On Saturday last the hulk was brought to this port by the Tillinghart and towed to the new derrick where the machinery is now being removed..." "Leathem and Smith have decided to rebuild the hull of the Tornado and place her in commission again. The engine and boiler have already been contracted for and it is expected that the boat will be ready for business in about a month or six weeks. The tug will be used in towing tugs from the west shore" Jan 31, 1891 DCA "Burned to obtain iron from her." From the "Boneyard of the Great Lakes": "Tug Tornado - a pioneer in the lumber towing trade; worn out and abandoned." at the Sturgeon Bay boneyard.
Confirmed Location     Unconfirmed location
© 2024 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society