Libbie Nau (1867)
Scroll Down
By The Numbers
Lives Lost
Depth (ft)
Service History

The wooden two masted schooner Libbie Nau was built in Green Bay in 1867 by John Gregory and probably Peter Peterson for use in the lumber and grain trade. In 1871 the vessel was valued at $15,000 and rated A1 and by 1874 she was valued at $14,000 and rated A2 by the Board Of Lake Underwriters. Her official registry number was 14808.

September 1872, Collided with the schooner White Squall which sank ten miles off Fish Point in Lake Huron.

1874: Received a new deck.

June 1876: Waterlogged off Menominee while laden with lumber and towed to a dry dock in Manitowoc by the steam tug Kitty Smoke.

September 1880: General repairs made along with new masts.

July 1892: Converted from a two masted schooner to a three masted schooner along with repairs in Chicago.

March 1893: Remeasured in Chicago. 129' x 26.5' x 10', 236 gross tons/ 219 net tons.

August 1902: New centerboard and minor repairs.

October 1904: Repaired a leak, recaulked the bottom and replaced the centerboard trunk.

1913: Made into a barge by Thomas Isbell at Sturgeon Bay.

Last Document Of Enrollment Surrendered: Milwaukee: June 39, 1918: "abandoned".
Final Voyage

The schooner Libbie Nau was raised from the Island Mill dock slip (she sunk there in 1919) and towed to the Leathem & Smith shipyard to be used as a breakwater for their dock. The vessel was filled with stone and sunk on the south side near the steamer Holland which was serving the same purpose. They burned to the water's edge on 9/17/1922. When the Door County Produce Co. warehouse burned, the fire spread to the dock and the remains of the Libbie Nau burned to the waterline.
Confirmed Location     Unconfirmed location
© 2024 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society