John C. Fremont (1856)
Scroll Down
By The Numbers
Lives Lost
Depth (ft)
Service History

The wooden two masted scow schooner John C. Fremont was built in the shipyard of Merry & Gay at Milan, Ohio in 1856. In 1861 the vessel was valued at $4,500 and rated B2. Two years later she was still rated B2 but valued at $4,000.

November 1856: The Fremont lost her deck load of lumber.

1858: Ashore at False Cut, above Long Point in Lake Erie.

November 1858: Refloated after grounding. Few days later dry docked for repairs.

September 1859: Aground at Fairport, Lake Erie.

1863: Overhauled.

Last Document of Enrollment: Chicago: 5/26/1865
Final Voyage

The schooner John C. Fremont, bound from Buffalo to Chicago, light, sank off Baileys Harbor (Door County Peninsula) on 6/25/1865, after colliding with the barque American Eagle. After the collision in the fog, the Fremont broke away from the barque and sank within five minutes. The entire crew escaped and was picked up by the American Eagle.
Confirmed Location     Unconfirmed location
© 2024 - Wisconsin Sea Grant, Wisconsin Historical Society